cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arches NP - Bad idea in Summer

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to go to Arches NP. Never been and have always wanted to. Is it a bad a idea to go in the summer due to heat? Great places to stay (family friendly)? Sights? Thanks for any advice. Coming from WA State (i-84). Places to stay along the way. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
19 REPLIES 19

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Be sure to check on a space as I believe there is a big 4wd rally in April.
Finishes up this Sunday this year. Wouldn't want to be there this week. :E It's always the week immediately preceding Easter. Don't go then!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure to check on a space as I believe there is a big 4wd rally in April.

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the advice...I think after getting feedback, I am going to go in April next year if possible to avoid the excessive heat.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone in July, September and October. Do not go in July unless that is the only time you can go and you have reservations. You need them in September also but you might be able to get in.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Rainier wrote:

I would love to go to Arches NP.

>>>>>> Great to visit and lot's to see,

Never been and have always wanted to.

>>>>>> So when do you plan on going? You will not be alone, it is popular all year.

Is it a bad a idea to go in the summer due to heat?

>>>>>> Obviously it's not cool, and would not be my first choice (1st would be Colorado Mountains) but it is Arches - Canyonlands - RT 128 - Island In the Sky................Lot's to see and do just plan smartly - Early is good - Water is Good - Late is good - Noon might just be Good to Travel in the Car.

Great places to stay (family friendly)?

>>>>>> Yes - lot's of CG's - some BLM's and as it's summer IMHO you will want electric for A/C.

Thanks for any advice. Coming from WA State (i-84).

>>>>>> Look at making a Loop trip so as to go and return on different routes and at least see different areas on the long drive - seek out the Mountains - Scenic drives - Hard to give advice without knowing timeline and interests. Just TOO MUCH to see and do.

Places to stay along the way.

>>>>>> Salt Lake City - Ski Resorts(cooler at elevations) - Goblins SP - Dinosaur NM - Flaming Gorge NRA(Water) - Colorado in the Mountains if you have time - ......................

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Here is a good, short,and complete guide from a really good authority on Moab. Ken is usually just spot on.

4runnerguy wrote:

From SLC, I'd head right down to Moab and spend your time there.

The biggest limitation in November in the short days. We have been out there for several Thanksgivings and sometimes we have to hit the trail when it's still pretty cool in the morning as the sun sets so early.

If you like hiking, I'd plan on two full days in Arches. Just hiking to the major arches like those in the windows section and Sand Dune and Broken Arch takes some time. Head up to Delicate Arch near sunset for great pictures. If you have the stamina, hike the trail out of Devils Garden. Lots of arches along the trail and the side trails. Return via the primitive trail.

Definitely do a tour of the Island in the Sky at Canyonlands. There are some shorter hikes up there, but nothing major. Mesa Arch and Aztec Butte are scenic and interesting. At the end, Grandview Point is another sunset picture opportunity.

I don't know how much 4x4 experience you have, so the will determine what to try. One reasonably non-technical route we love is the White Rim Trail around Island in the Sky. The White Rim is nearly 2000' lower than the Island in the Sky. Several short trails off of it. It will take most of a day to do it, so start early. The hardest part are the approaches to Murphy Hogback but any decent jeep can handle it. I've always dropped in on Shafer Trail and done the loop clockwise, but if you go down Mineral Bottom first, you can exit via the Potash Road which eventually parallels the Colorado River. There are some interesting petroglyphs on the walls alongside the road when you're eight or so miles below Potash.

Don't miss the drive up river along UT 128. The hike out to Fisher Towers is interesting. That time of year you might have the trail to yourselves.

Plenty of rooms available in November as the crowds have thinned. One interesting place we have stayed a couple of times is the Inca Inn. Funky might best describe it. Bathroom tile is from the 50's but it is clean. Rates quite high on TripAdvisor, but I think it's because it is quaint. Most of the big motel chains have places there.

For restaurants, we like the Moab Brewery. (Or is that because of the beer?) Pasta Jays has outdoor seating, and even in the fall, they have plastic windows they roll down to keep the heat in. If you're hungry, Zax's has a pizza/salad buffet. The Blu Pig looks interesting but we haven't been there yet.

If you have a shopping card from one of the Kroger affiliated stores, you can use it at City Market for gasoline. Generally the best prices in town.

Ken pretty much covers the town - just add that it is Summer for your trip and your timing (Early - 0r - Late) is critical for the heat.

I've been in the summer - in the Fall - in the Winter - in the Spring - all are different but the one thing in common is they are all unforgettable. We have never regretted going, no matter the time of year. Special Place!

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a comparison that might help you decide: think of camping in the Hanford Reach National Mon. adjoining the nuclear reservation in the middle of July. Arches get "Tri-Cities hot" in the summer.

DW and I visited Arches during March several years ago. Temps were just about perfect.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Due to school vacation we visited Arches during July a number of years ago. Being from northern New England, I hate the heat, but we did just fine there dry camping at Devil's in the park. Rig then was a soft-side TC, so had lots of mesh windows which we just kept open. Just ran a battery powered fan at night. probably less comfortable in a TT or similar. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If your family won't mind this short time period of getting up early then it's easily doable. Early is a gorgeous time to walk the trails.

2lazy4U wrote:
Go early in the morning and late in the evening and it's wonderful.

And all the others who mentioned early morning or evening hiking REALLY brings out the colors in Moab and the surrounding areas. It's that low light thing that will produce amazing photos with colors that pop out.

I love me some land yachting

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
We went in May and it was fine. I can see that mid summer could get very hot.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Redrocket is right. I lived in Moab for 15 years and would often go into the park in the summer and see few people. The ones there stay inside or close to their cars because of the heat. Go early in the morning and late in the evening and it's wonderful. Just don't leave your dog in the car, you'll get ticketed. I've sat out under juniper trees in 105 degree heat and felt fine, but I wouldn't want to hike very far. Be sure you drink lots of water, even if not hiking.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's definitely o.k. to visit in summer and you'll find that you're not alone. Folks with children need to go when they're out of school.

As stated, the campground in the park will be closed all summer this year and there will be road construction. You'll want a park with electric to be comfortable and there are plenty available.

If your family won't mind this short time period of getting up early then it's easily doable. Early is a gorgeous time to walk the trails. If there's a full moon, the hike to Delicate Arch is perfect for the sunset... many folks do this. Depending on the children's ages, definitely sign up before getting there for the 'Fiery Furnace' ranger-led hike. It's very popular and you need to sign up in advance. It's a fun hike through the hoodoos and you'll have some shade. Read about it on the park's website.

https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

There's a great flat bike trail starting in town and going down the river road. A boat trip on the Colorado River will be somewhat cooling. Naturally, 4-wheeling is popular and if you don't have a proper vehicle, perhaps renting one or taking a tour could be done. They are fun, beautiful trails.

Hope you can go. It's an awesome place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have been there twice in the summer. My kids are in school. We had a great time. RV parks there have full hook ups. I stayed at the same one both times. Right across from the entrance to Cayonlands NP.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Much better spring and fall and not so crowded. If you are coming from Western WA it will seem really hot and there are few hook ups to run the AC.

Actually, if I'm reading your post correctly and you're saying spring and fall are less crowded, that is not true. Spring and fall are the most crowded times in Moab as that is when the nicest weather exists.

Arches Devils Garden campground is closed through November 30th, 2017. But, there are many private RV Parks close by in and around Moab which do offer FHU so one can run air conditioning if you have an AC unit in your RV.

I've been to Moab multiple times during the spring for ATVing but am headed back this July with the family and TT. Yes it will be hot during the day and as already mentioned, you need to be on trail early and everyone should be bringing lots of water. Sunscreen, wide brimmed hats, long sleeved, loose light colored venting clothing will all help deal with the heat. Be prepared to stink ๐Ÿ™‚

City of Moab's Official Tourism Website - Discover Moab
I love me some land yachting