Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Asheville NC, Blowing Rock, NC area

Rickl750
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and travel trailers. We are planing on visiting the Asheville, Blowing Rock NC area in July. I Already have my reservations at a couple of CG, but I miss calculated and going to be in the area about four hours before I can check in (Rookie mistake). Anyway, I'm looking for ideas of were I can go or do with a truck and a 24ft trailer in tow. My concern is really a place to park, while we explore, shop, eat, or do some type of activity. It's my wife, 16yr old daughter and two dogs, We're pretty open to just about anything, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
9 REPLIES 9

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Rickl750 wrote:
Guys,
Thanks you for the info, very helpful. Tom W, We're staying overnight in VA off rt 81 and staying at Campfire CG in Asheville. We whanted to visit Blowing Rock so we thought we could go there first and then continue to Asheville, but if it's too complicated with the trailer we would go straight to Asheville and kill time there until we could check-in at 2:30pm.

Thanks again,

Rick

Not to complicated at all, Just depends on your timing. If your camping in Va. not sure how your planning on getting to Blowing Rock. I come down 81 through Va and that's not a straight shot to Blowing Rock. You could take a day trip up there later from Asheville and it's a nice little town if you want restaurants and shopping. I live just south of Asheville and there is a ton of stuff to do. Parking with your trailer will be your problem. I can't think of a place down town to park with a trailer it's either on street or parking garages. Biltmore house is an option but to expensive to just fill some time. New Belgium Brewery is a possibility for lunch, on the river, don't go by the picture on Google maps, it's all finished. Sierra Nevada Brewery next to the Airport is another, Lunch, parking, dog friendly and nice outdoor area, 15 to 20 from town on 26e. I'm not partial to breweries just parking possibilities. Send me a PM if you want, I grew up in NJ so we speak the same language.

Rickl750
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,
Thanks you for the info, very helpful. Tom W, We're staying overnight in VA off rt 81 and staying at Campfire CG in Asheville. We whanted to visit Blowing Rock so we thought we could go there first and then continue to Asheville, but if it's too complicated with the trailer we would go straight to Asheville and kill time there until we could check-in at 2:30pm.

Thanks again,

Rick

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Biltmore is AWESOME. Lil pricey, but still awesome!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
On the Blue Ridge Parkway right in Ashville is a great Appalachia Heritage museum.

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you staying?Ashville or blowing rock,that you need something to do till you can check in.would help in giving you ideas on things to do.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rickl750 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and travel trailers. We are planing on visiting the Asheville, Blowing Rock NC area in July. I Already have my reservations at a couple of CG, but I miss calculated and going to be in the area about four hours before I can check in (Rookie mistake). Anyway, I'm looking for ideas of were I can go or do with a truck and a 24ft trailer in tow. My concern is really a place to park, while we explore, shop, eat, or do some type of activity. It's my wife, 16yr old daughter and two dogs, We're pretty open to just about anything, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Just so you will know. Asheville and Boone are NOT close to each other. They are a minimum 2 hours apart. If you run the Blue Ridge Parkway. you are looking at closer to 4 hours, depending on how much you stop, and you will stop. SO. IF you are going to get to Asheville 4 hours early. Get on the BRP, and ride. That will put you in Ashville just about on time. And YES you can tow your trailer easily on the BRP. Plus there are picnic areas, and overlooks to stop, and enjoy. The picnic areas have restrooms, as do the CGs on the parkway.

You can also get off along the way, and visit GrandFather Mountain, Blowing Rock. Little Switzerland, and lots of other places.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Drive to Ashville, NC and visit the Biltmore House . You can park your rig in the parking lot. Visit the house, tour the gardens, have a great time. Spend the day. Then, after you are all exhausted, go on to your campground.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Try calling the Chamber of Commerce in both places. Weโ€™ve been to both places but without our TT. If memory serves me right, we paid to park in Asheville but not in Blowing Rock.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

I am sure the campground would have an OVERFLOW area that they would allow you to drop the TT while exploring...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet