cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beach getaway options

hamilton71801
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a long weekend beach destination around October around Gulf Shores or Destin. Top Sail is very nice but I really want a spot on the beach if possible. I'm leaning towards hitting Gulfs Shores for the National Shrimp Festival (stayed at the State Park last time) and while it was nice, it wasn't on the beach. Any idea where we need to go? We will be leaving the kids at home to fend for themselves and this will be a needed mom and dad getaway.
2013 Keystone Hornet 29.5 BHS Fifth Wheel
2001.5 Dodge QC Shortbox 4x4 Auto Cummins
Quadzilla XZT+, Stage 3 Jammer Nozzles, BD J Hook
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller
1978 17' Glastron Carlson (115 Mercury, Hotfoot, completely restored)
13 REPLIES 13

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
LynnandCarol wrote:
No beachfront site 20 ft wide is worth 185.00 a nite. It is a pretty place but way to pricey for us.

Problem is, that reflects the value of developable beachfront property, so it isn't going to be any cheaper unless subsidized by taxpayers and kept off the market by state ownership.

Which is why I don't mind a short walk to the beach, don't need to be parked on the beach.

To the OP, the best developed, in the middle of everything, on the beach RV park I know of is Red Coconut at Fort Myers Beach. That community has not yet developed to high-rise condo, it is a lot like Daytona, or Myrtle Beach, used to be in the 50s and 60s.

Cheapest place around the Gulf to camp on the beach is South Padre Island, but you may be on the bay side. RV camping is possible, but I wouldn't do it, I don't trust the strength of the sand over the longer term. You also have to understand the tides.

For being close to the beach, on the Gulf, I like the Galveston Island State Park. But the RV sites are not on the beach side of the park; as with many of the beach state parks in Alabama and Florida, the RV campgrounds are built away from the beach, where the soil is strong enough to support roads for heavy vehicles, and installation of utilities is feasible. Just can't do underground wiring in the tidal zone where surf digs it up.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Grayton Beach State Park (Florida) - right over the AL line. Not right on the beach but almost as close as Ft. Pickens. Easy bike ride and great facilities. Also has some good nite-life and seafood restaurants close by.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Our very first RV trip was to Fort Pickens. We did stay in the A loop. It rained the whole time we were there, and I had the best time I've ever had camping in the rain. Even my BF, who loved tent camping, was thankful to have an RV to stay in.

The A loop is the one closest to the beach. It's also much smaller and easier to get around than the other sections. I still wouldn't call it "close" to the beach, though. If you're like me and have chairs, umbrella, cooler...it's quite a walk to the beach. They had just remodeled the shower house when we were there. As others have said, there are no sewer hookups. Make sure to visit the fort while you're there. They offer both guided and self-guided tours. If you're into fishing, their little pier is fun but usually crowded.

We're headed back for Labor Day weekend. We plan on touring the Naval base and the lighthouse while we're there this tie. Maybe it won't rain on us again. Hope you enjoy Fort Pickens.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

hamilton71801
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Ft Pickens it is!!!! Are most of the water side sites in loop A close to the Gulf and have walk paths to it?
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Pickens in Pensacola comes close - if you stay in the A loop. There are no sewer hookup, though. We had a spot there in June and it was maybe 100 yards to the beach.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson Beach State Park. Our favorite site is 50D

hamilton71801
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
No beachfront site 20 ft wide is worth 185.00 a nite. It is a pretty place but way to pricey for us.

Do you get a deed with that price??? Really, $185!!!! Walmart parking lot is looking mighty good.
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson Bch SP would be a good compromise. While not directly on the beach it is only a short walk down the boardwalk and is a great CG with plenty of vegetation for privacy.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the one where you're stacked together like cord wood in Destin?

Yep
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

hamilton71801
Explorer
Explorer
MdMike1007 wrote:
Campgulf.com nicest place I know of on the Gulf. Sights right on the beach!

Is that the one where you're stacked together like cord wood in Destin?
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
Campgulf.com nicest place I know of on the Gulf. Sights right on the beach!

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
None that I know of.