cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Phone/data plan for snowbirds

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Canadian snowbird who spends the winter in the (hopefully) warmer US. I bought a snowbird plan for my smart phone from Roam Mobility in Canada, they use T-mobile. I've had terrible service, no phone service outside major cities and when I do get data access, it shows "Edge" on my smart phone, the speed seems lower than old dial up internet.

I'm looking for a plan on a pay-as-you-go basis that I can use during the winter, if possible I'd like to keep my phone number over the years, with around 500 MB to 1 gig of data per month.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
portliz wrote:
You need to get a new SIM card to activate an old tracphone. Easy. Call Tracphone and they will send u one free. Install, add time and your phone is active again. You can't keep the same number. They give you a new one.

They will only send SIM card to a USA address Will not send to Canada so you canbe ready to use when you cross border
One time I tried to reuse I was asked if I wanted the same number I said yes and then the SIM card would not work
Phone staff not always right and I have had to buy a new phone last 2 years because Tracfone mistakes. They will not reimburse you even if their mistake

joe_sbg
Explorer
Explorer
As a traveler you want the best coverage. Verizon network is a must. Do you need data? How many minutes do you need a month? Are you willing to go online to replenish.Do you need a smartphone? Does price matter a lot. For me Page Plus wireless was the perfect answer. They run on the verizon network. I started with a pay as you go with a 2000 minutes card for 76.00 dollars. Its good for a year before replenish. I've purchased 3 iphone4 refurbs on eBay, the last for 65.00 which is the current price. I'm now on a 12.00 monthly plan which includes 250 min and 250 texts and minimal data which I don't use. Check it out .page plus cellular. We have saved $50 monthly for the last 2 1/2 years.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get a new SIM card to activate an old tracphone. Easy. Call Tracphone and they will send u one free. Install, add time and your phone is active again. You can't keep the same number. They give you a new one.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
macleadv wrote:
We will be travelling from the east coast of Canada to Florida and staying the month of april 2015. In 2013 we purchased a Tracfone Phone in Maine for our visit to Cape cod that year.

I have a few questions about these cellular phones.
1. Would it be better to purchase prepaid airtime and re-activiate our present Tracfone.
2. I plan to use it only while traveling to and from Florida, and with minimual useage while in Florida; so would I use Maine(Border crossing) or Florida(Condo) as my location referenced for re-activation?
3. Would I purchase a new tracphone at the nearest US Walmart (Calais ME)?
4. Would there be roaming fees from Maine to Florida and in Florida?
5. Can I call Canadad from Florida with normal long distanced charges?
6. Is there any other cellphones with plans better or equivant to the tracfone?

thanks

I don't think it matters what your area code (location) is as calls to any US or Canadian location (through the 800 number that you call for Canada) are metered by the minute (no roaming or LD charges). Assuming you can re-activate your old Tracfone it would be cheaper than buying another one. As posted above, buying a $99 card will keep the phone (and number) active for a year so you won't lose the number and if you don't use the minutes they will flow over to the next period when you renew again. Depends on whether you plan to do the US annually or not and what time you spend there.

For phone only service I think Tracfone is the best bang for the buck.I've never tried data on a tracfone

macleadv
Explorer
Explorer
We will be travelling from the east coast of Canada to Florida and staying the month of april 2015. In 2013 we purchased a Tracfone Phone in Maine for our visit to Cape cod that year.

I have a few questions about these cellular phones.
1. Would it be better to purchase prepaid airtime and re-activiate our present Tracfone.
2. I plan to use it only while traveling to and from Florida, and with minimual useage while in Florida; so would I use Maine(Border crossing) or Florida(Condo) as my location referenced for re-activation?
3. Would I purchase a new tracphone at the nearest US Walmart (Calais ME)?
4. Would there be roaming fees from Maine to Florida and in Florida?
5. Can I call Canadad from Florida with normal long distanced charges?
6. Is there any other cellphones with plans better or equivant to the tracfone?

thanks

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that the major carriers have good coverage in the popular Snowbird destinations. My point is that as Canadians you might not want to pay premium prices for coverage that you won't need. I use Verizon Prepaid which gives me good service in populated areas. Be aware that some plans do not allow using your phone as a hot spot. Verizon prepaid does with certain models.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
1 gig of data would last me about 2 days.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

macleadv
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
One thing to keep in mind as a snowbird coming from Canada, Roam coverage is not entirely dependent on the cell towers. Generally I agree with your comment, I have been in many places on the East coast from NY to FL and have seen generally poor coverage in some rural areas, but this I think also has to do with coverage differences in the two countries. In Canada, if you are within 100 miles of the border (where 90% of the population is) we have virtual blanket coverage even in the middle of nowhere and virtually no coverage in the far north. In the US however, their population is spread out more and for this reason the cell towers seem to be concentrated more around big cities and interstates. This means there are a lot of dark areas when you get off the beaten path (where many RV'rs want to be).
However I did notice one major factor that is not related to their coverage map, particularly related to data. That is that many phones (iPhone being the worst offender) do not support the correct bands for 3G, 4G, LTE on Roam/Tmoble, so you are always stuck on 2G. Tmobile realized this a few years ago and started upgrading their towers to a more iPhone friendly band, but have only done so in a few dozen of the biggest cities. Bottom line, if you are using Roam on an iPhone or a cheap $0 phone this is far more likely than if you have a Pentaband or Quadband phone.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Has anyone used Black Wireless or Cricket with an unlocked iPhone? They both use AT&T which seems to be the best option for iPhone users. I'm looking for something with a decent data plan.

Regarding Cricket, Canadian friends of ours had Cricket last year, they went to renew a week or two ago and were told by AT&T that they couldn't get it because AT&T had bought Cricket out (they wanted month-to-month service).

you may want to confirm.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used Black Wireless or Cricket with an unlocked iPhone? They both use AT&T which seems to be the best option for iPhone users. I'm looking for something with a decent data plan.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
We use TracPhones while in the US. Pay as you go and we always purchase 1 year cards so that when we are home during the summer(Alberta, Canada) we keep our number and minutes. Reasonable price and we have many more minutes than we need.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Community Alumni
Not applicable
bartiee wrote:
what about -magic jack plus

Does not really work all that well using wifi; breaks up a lot and goes down.

bartiee
Explorer
Explorer
what about -magic jack plus
2008 Ram, 3500, quad cab, 4x4, 6.7,pulling a 2011 Cedar Creek 36RE
member of GOOD SAMS CLUB

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use an AT&T Go phone for $60/month for unlimited calling, texting and 2.5G of data. Also I use an add-on of $5 for 250 minutes international into Canada.

The data is really handy where there is no wifi, I use the Hot-Spot to provide wifi to my iPad.