garryearl
Explorer
Explorer
last week of may or the first week of june too early to go to yellowstone
13 REPLIES 13

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from there, camping in West Yellowstone. Weather was cool - highs in the 50s, lows at or below freezing in "West." (In the park, a bit cooler, as the altitude is higher.) Other than more sunshine than last year in mid-October, pretty similar temperatures. We were there late September 6 years ago and it was really nice, highs in the upper 60s and lows around 40. So you never really know for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
WE stayed at Henry's Lake CG, saw the whole eclipse near Ashton, ID (two full minutes totality) then moved to Headwaters at Teton Lodge. Even took a trip to the Cody Rodeo.

We saw almost everything there was to see. Only passed up the dirt road to Gardiner and the Blacktail Plateau Drive because it was almost nightfall.

Didn't go to the Northeast Entrance. Checked out all the museums.

One of the best two weeks of my life. 45 years ago I missed a bunch of stuff but covered them this time.

Daytime highs in middle 70's, nighttime temps middle 40's. Didn't need air conditioning or heater.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We were there Labor Day this year.

Fire smoke obscured come features, crowds were thick on the last holiday weekend of the year.

But... after 64 years I finally made it and it was fantastic.

Could it have been better - yes, was it a disappointment - no. I would have been stupid to not go for the few days when our schedule allowed us to visit. Because I might never get another chance!!!

Would I like to go back earlier in the year - Yes. I hope to do so, but no time will every be a bad time to visit Yellowstone in my opinion.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there middle of may a year ago. Weather was high 50's low 60's during the day.At night it dropped into the high 30's. Crowds were light. Not everything was open, but there was more than enough to see. We had buffalo walk so close to out van we could have reached out and touched them. We also had a mother grizzly and 3 cubs walk right toward us and then passed aside of us. We thought it was a great time to be there. We were there 4 days and could have used 2 more. We stayed in Madison campground. No hookups but generators allowed. It is centrally located. We dined at the Inn at Old Faithful. Beautiful lobby. The food was good and the price was decent.Mammoth Hot Springs at the north end has a lot to see and also has a nice campground.The best part is that we never hit a traffic jam and could make good time getting from one place to the next.So I say go in May!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
garryearl wrote:

NO, even if it snows it is still beautiful.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last 2 weeks of August and it was perfect weather.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
As previously mentioned, any and all times of the year. It's amazing to witness how fast everything "bursts" to life with spring in the Rockies. In just a couple of short weeks, you can go from snow covered ridges, to flowers blooming! Wildlife is getting active, bears are coming out from hibernation, soon elk will be calving. Summer has it's own beauty, hundreds of animal (elk, bison,deer, and moose) feeding on the grasslands and river bottoms. Many birds have returned to the area from their migration, and many small animals are already preparing for the coming winter. Fall... the changing season brings much color to the high country, the cool days really bring to life vapor plumes from the hundreds of thermal areas. And... early September brings on the elk breeding season. Seeing and hearing the "bulls" challenge for herd dominance is a thing to behold! And then winter... while much of the wildlife has either migrated out or "holed-up" for winter, the area is still "very much alive"! Elk , Bison, and Moose are trying to scratch out an existence from the deep snow covered land, while constantly being stalked by wolf packs. A trip through the park on snow machines is an experience only a relative few have enjoyed!

There are campgrounds in Cody, and Wapiti on the east side of the park as well as Jackson to the south. Special arrangements could possibly be arranged for winter camping....if your RV is "up to the challenge"! We stayed in Wapiti in late November for a late season elk hunt just east of the park. It hadn't gotten cold yet... lows were in single digits to just below zero.

Give yourself a huge treat... see it in all seasons!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was there around the middle of June and it was great. The weather was good but we did have some snow but was just brief. One thing to take into consideration is that some places don't open much before Memorial Day. Do your planning and make reservations soon.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Both Crowe and Enblethen are correct about your time period, it is a great time of the year almost anywhere. Two replies were received while I tried to wax poetically and they are so true. also.

My choice, however, would be to go again during the coldest, snowiest part of the winter. Yellowstone turns out it's most unbelievable tableaus in the winter. To observe a herd of bison as they appear coming out of the ground fog so often found there, the snow and ice crystals on their hair and horns, swans floating down a river, otters frolicking while a coyote tries to sneak up on them, eagles fishing on the geyser heated river pools, wolves playing their stick carrying game in snow up to their stomachs.

It is the surreal time to visit. Sitting in an old snow coach driving by a guide that has forgotten more about our first park than I'll ever know, taking us places where these things really happen, just amazing.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
garryearl wrote:

Just returned from the Gran Tetons. Weather changed daily, low of 28 high maybe 35. Tried going to Yellowstone one morning, half way there, snow began to fall. A very wet snow that stuck to everything. About half way there, we had to turn around. Roads cover and to slippery. Park Rangers closed the road, we were have to make it back to the tetons. Next day was better, but they were calling for more snow, after seeing the prismatic springs we left before snow. If you are in Yellowstone and roads are closed. Your not going to leave until roads reopen. Weather deteriorated so much we left a day early. We have been there at the end of June also, chilly for sure and a few flakes. Best planning to go...read all the weather alerts on the website. Be prepared for delays, and road closures. Be patient, drive slowly. no need to rush or you will miss alot.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The thing I like about that time of year is that there appears to more water flowing and the "rocks" look better wet.

The snow on Grand Tetons is spectacular and for a few days around this time of year 1000's of elk are moving out of the valleys to higher ground.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best time is any time during the year. Yellowstone changes that much.
As for the time you have in mind, either is good. Yes, the weather can be an issue. Plan for any types of weather. If you plan on going trails, plan for that.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I have been there that time of year. Upsides are small crowds and the baby animals are just starting to come out of hiding. The downside is the weather can still be chilly and damp with the possibility of snow. I'd go the first week of June although 1 week probably won't matter.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]