cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend National Park

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Where to camp if we cant get a site in the National park. Also any great campgrounds in the texas Hill country. Thanks!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
13 REPLIES 13

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need hookups, there are dozens of dispersed camping sites throughout the park. Most are tent-only, but there are some that are suitable for RV's. I found them using the Ultimate Campgrounds app.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the Study Butte RV Park on Hwy 118...we had full hookups...it's just a few miles from the entrance to Big Bend. And nearby is the neat little town of Terlingua, designated a Ghost Town, but with some good places to eat and a Trading Post. You can walk around and see the ruins of some old buildings and a very interesting old cemetery.
Big Bend is one of our very favorite places to visit.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Agesilaus we watched his channel and subscribed to channel. Very good info. Thanks again!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone appreciate ur replies. Will ck out BB Rv Park.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been there for a while but Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park in Fredericksburg is very nice. There are also several good state parks in the Hill Country, like Pedernales Falls & Guadalupe River.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Stillwells - just outside the NP; Nothing fancy but that's par
for the course in Big Bend. Expect remoteness.

I then moved to Terlingua and stayed there another week; Close to amenities
(grocery store, bars, restaurants, gas.....) - Quirky little town but I
enjoyed it.

Take ALL your supplies (food/drink/propane/gas.....) - it's remote out there
and gorgeous. I was hoping to get ther again this winter, but plans changed.

I stayed at Guadalupe State Park in Hill country, really nice campground. Good
for hiking, cycling and relatively close to a town.
Gerry

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
At Big Bend, just a couple miles west of the park, at Terlingua, is the Big Bend RV park. Not fancy, but good for water and elec and close to the park.

Don't let it deter you from going just because you can't get into a NP campsite. Was there at Thanksgiving and stayed at BB RV park. It was actually a good in between. It was nice to be able to have a hot shower, electricity and a flush toilet at the end of a long day of exploring.

The ONLY FHU campground is JUST A PARKING LOT with hookups...literally
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
At Big Bend, just a couple miles west of the park, at Terlingua, is the Big Bend RV park. Not fancy, but good for water and elec and close to the park.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
For the hill country we really like Kerrville-Schreiner Park in Kerrville. Formerly a state park now owned by the city of Kerrville. Split by a highway with Riverside and Hillside areas. We like the Hillside, but it has only 30 amp FHU. If you want 50 amp FHU you have to stay on the Riverside. But both sides are great. And likely deer will come grazing thru your camp site. Good central area to visit Fredericksburg (with a large number of wineries), Boerne, Bandera, etc.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware of the climate there. Been there twice in mid-winter and both times it dramatically changed from hot to cold. We've camped all over and spent the coldest night(-7 F) of our 40 years of camping. I doubt that's normal but it can happen and frightened us.
Jayco-noslide

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Four campgrounds in the park:
Cottonwood Campground: Water points, pit toilets.
Rio Grande Campground: Water points, flush toilets.
Chisos Basin Campground: Water points, flush toilets.
Rio Grande Village RV Campground: Full hookups.
Just google big bend camping.
Currently Between RVs

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Agesilaus! Eill definitely warch!!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch this video on The Grand Adventure, it just came out and he covers his favorite cg in 2019. And most of them are in Texas including Maverick Ranch down at Big Bend and another one, I don't recall the name up in Hill country along with 3 more on the Texas coast.

That's one of the best RV VBlogs in my opinion. He has a lot of useful info and has IIRC about 35,000 subscribers. He is probably one of the rare vblog making real money from YouTube.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper