cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill giving residents priority at booking FL state parks

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
If you're interested in Florida State Bill 76 which allows Floridians a one month head start at booking Florida State Parks campsites, here's Senator Hooper's presentation to committee. He begins at the 8:15 mark. If passed, it would basically eliminate non Floridians from camping at popular Florida State Parks, due to the competitive nature of reserving these sites. I believe his presentation is a little misguided though because I've observed every summer over the last 14 years at Bahia Honda at least 80 to 90% of the campers being from Florida.

https://www.flsenate.gov/media/videoplayer?EventID=1_ky7xx6qg-202301171330&Redirect=true
73 REPLIES 73

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dutch_12078 wrote:

You do understand that you're telling the snowbird crowd you don't want our money coming into your state don't you. What we spend for state park sites is only a small part of what we spend at area businesses and attractions.

Not at all. State parks are typically heavily subsidized in terms of operation and facilities and hold prime land that most private parks could never afford.

The snowbird folks who use them heavily are taking advantage of that subsidy. On a modest scale, that's fine but if it's keeping out the folks who pay for the bulk of that subsidy (residents), it's certainly reasonable to tilt the table in favor of the locals a bit more.

Plenty of private parks available for those who want to visit florida.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do understand that you're telling the snowbird crowd you don't want our money coming into your state don't you. What we spend for state park sites is only a small part of what we spend at area businesses and attractions.

Not at all, you guys can take your chances with us. And as pointed out, there are thousands of private cg. Lately with all the tack ons, I'm not sure the SP are much if any cheaper.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I’m with you Dennis.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Dennis_Henderso
Explorer III
Explorer III
plasticmaster wrote:
... I believe his presentation is a little misguided though because I've observed every summer over the last 14 years at Bahia Honda at least 80 to 90% of the campers being from Florida.

https://www.flsenate.gov/media/videoplayer?EventID=1_ky7xx6qg-202301171330&Redirect=true

Thank you for the link. I agree that the majority of SUMMER campers are from Florida. No one else from up north in their right mind would want to come to camp in HOT Florida in the summer.

The reverse is true, however, for the great weather months of October, November, December, January, February and March. Out-of-staters and Canadians are in the majority.

Most other state parks around the country and many county parks give residents an advantage over non-residents. We are hoping for that to happen here with our Florida State Parks and our residents.

Denny and Cindy Henderson

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
ronharmless wrote:
Well to me I it would depend: who is carrying most of the freight and by how much - camping fees or state taxpayers? Private campgrounds it’s a no brainer.

It is obvious that for SP that the taxpayer is footing the bill. I suspect the actual operating costs are all or mostly funded by fees tho. I have no doubt the cg would still be filled up no matter who has preference. Land purchases are funded by a Doc Fee tax I believe. I've lost track how many parks the state has, near 200 when I last checked.

The only obvious way to give residents preference would seem to be opening the reservation period for the first X time to residents only.
Maybe if there is a six month res period giving the residents the first four months.

I am 100 persent for this.

They need to fix the online system which is awful right now. Bettter to go back to the old system.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
To think out of towners don't pay and add to the Fla. economy is misguided.
Tourism is Florida's thing. Should all state's adopt Florida's approach?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Plasticmaster. When Im at Florida state parks, the majority of campers have Florida tags. My impression is Floridians are competing against other Floridians, and some out of state campers. I don't know that changing the rules to allow residents to make reservations before non-residents will do much to actually change what happens at the popular parks.

I can understand the sentiment that locals, paying taxes that support the parks, should get priority, but tourism is the number one business for Florida, is it not? How do you think this rule will impact tourism?

Popular parks will remain popular and still be just as difficult to get in, in my opinion.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Florida residents not getting sites at Florida state parks vote in Florida elections. Out of state RVers not getting a site don’t .

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
THIS.
ronharmless wrote:
Well to me I it would depend: who is carrying most of the freight and by how much - camping fees or state taxpayers? Private campgrounds it’s a no brainer.

If I were a Florida resident whose taxes supported the state parks, I would want to be able to get reservations earlier. I think those paying the taxes that support those state parks should be able to have access to that benefit.

Florida has plenty of private campgrounds. If I'm ever in Florida, I make do with what I can find. I'm there to see relatives and friends.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
When I camp at popular state parks in my home state of SC, the vast majority of license plates are from SC with the remainder from other states and Canada. When I camp at popular Florida State Parks like Bahia Honda, the vast majority of license plates are from Florida. I don't understand why Floridians claim that they can't get a campsite. Anyway, I just hope this doesn't pass as it would eliminate me and other out of staters from camping at popular Florida State Parks. Btw, I don't want this conversation turning political either, but I think it's a relevant subject for those who enjoy camping at Florida State Parks.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronharmless wrote:

It is obvious that for SP that the taxpayer is footing the bill. I suspect the actual operating costs are all or mostly funded by fees tho. I have no doubt the cg would still be filled up no matter who has preference. Land purchases are funded by a Doc Fee tax I believe. I've lost track how many parks the state has, near 200 when I last checked.

The only obvious way to give residents preference would seem to be opening the reservation period for the first X time to residents only.
Maybe if there is a six month res period giving the residents the first four months.

I am 100 persent for this.

They need to fix the online system which is awful right now. Bettter to go back to the old system.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
What happens at many state and coe parks is that the locals snap up every site every weekend, effectively locking out anyone who wants to stay a week or two. This would just guarantee that happens. Snowbirds will just go to commercial parks, Texas or Arizona. If other states follow suit it'll also mean that Floridians won't be able to stay at other states' parks either.
-jbh-

dedmiston
Just a heads up to please please please please keep the politics out of this thread.

Contrary to popular belief, I really hate closing threads.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer