cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boston

kyteacher
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we are headed up to the northeast from Louisville, KY. Before going to Acadia we are camping at Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA. We are planning two days in Boston. I am traveling with my wife and 2 daughters (14/11). We want to check out the Freedom Trail along with some other touristy stuff. We've never been to Boston before.

My question, from there is it better to drive in to Boston and pay to park downtown each day, or use the commuter rail and subway system?

Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
kyteacher wrote:
We did pretty good using those in DC and will also use them in NYC the days before we are in Boston.

I guess I could say were biased for Boston but of the 3 we really thought Boston's T is the most easiest to use and clean.

Have fun and enjoy :C
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are staying at Normandy Farms, drop in and see their concierge. They will set you up with where to get the train and also sell you tickets to a variety of services and venues.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
kyteacher wrote:
I really appreciate the advice. I think driving in to Quincy is going to be the best option for us. I think I'll save the driving drama and just take the trains. We did pretty good using those in DC and will also use them in NYC the days before we are in Boston.

Don't count on finding a parking spot at Quincy after 8 am during the week.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

kyteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate the advice. I think driving in to Quincy is going to be the best option for us. I think I'll save the driving drama and just take the trains. We did pretty good using those in DC and will also use them in NYC the days before we are in Boston.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There's so much to see in Boston, it's well worth the trouble to get in there.

Absolutely. I don't sound my warnings to keep people away but to caution them as to what they are up against. Most of the locals just roll with it but it can be somewhat frightening and intimidating to a visitor.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on how comfortable you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic and the convoluted streets that exist in Boston. Weekdays, rush hours are terrible for the most part. Weekends is a total ****-shoot, where it can be easy in and out or just as bad as weekdays. Should you choose to drive in, head for the Government Center Parking Garage. This puts you pretty much in the middle of everything, but won't be cheap.

For the train options, there's a T station right in Downtown Foxboro, about a 5min drive from Normandy Farms. Check the Commuter Rail schedule, especially on the weekends, to be sure the schedule fits your needs.

I would suggest the train, myself, but would drive to Quincy and park at the commuter rail station there (right off Rte 93), The trains are much more frequent between Quincy and South Station, so you'll have much more flexibility in your schedule. From South Station, you'll need to take the subway to wherever you want to go.

There's so much to see in Boston, it's well worth the trouble to get in there.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
kyteacher wrote:
This summer we are headed up to the northeast from Louisville, KY. Before going to Acadia we are camping at Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA. We are planning two days in Boston. I am traveling with my wife and 2 daughters (14/11). We want to check out the Freedom Trail along with some other touristy stuff. We've never been to Boston before.

My question, from there is it better to drive in to Boston and pay to park downtown each day, or use the commuter rail and subway system?

Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to stay with one transit the MBTA (T) will almost get you anywhere in Boston. We have taken the green line in many times, Riverside station exit 22 grove street, directly off I95.(relatively easy to get to) you will need to download a parking app to pay for parking https://www.mbta.com/stops/place-river

Maybe a 20 to 30 minute drive from Normandy Farms pending how traffic is. As mentioned don't drive in boston

If you can take in a game at historic Fenway Park.

Have fun :C
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
It has been almost 50 years since I drove in Boston. It was beyond awful the. I can't imagine how bad it is now. You are staying at a campground that caters to tourists. Get their assistance.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We also drive regularly into Boston for Dr appt. Have left at all different times of the day traffic is horrible and we know our way around and what lanes to be in etc. etc. Take transit in and preserve your marriage,and blood pressure.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone else: take the train or subway in. You will save lots of hassle, and probably not be much different in terms of money given the prices for parking in Boston proper (if you can find it). Navigating Boston roads by car is challenging, and managing among the Boston drivers is a separate but I think equally daunting challenge. Getting around on foot and by subway is much handier in my opinion.

Driving under Boston isn't too bad, at least during non-rush-hour times, but that's not at all helpful if you want to see Boston.

Besides the Freedom Trail (and Old Ironsides), you might want to see the New England Aquarium (nicely done, with an enormous central tank), the Museum of Science (and especially the Van de Graf generator show), the excellent Museum of Fine Arts, and the Gardner museum...and probably a bunch of other destinations.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Train. As Ed C stated there is no rhyme nor reason to the roads-they are converted cow paths. Parking is expensive and scarce during tourist season. Drivers are rude, obnoxious, sometimes stupid and often times scary aggressive. Having lived in MA until last year I speak from experience.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take the bus tour. Normandy can tell you where to pick up the bus. After taking the tour some years ago I would never recommend driving into the city.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have had to go into Boston regularly and it is a pain. There is nothing orderly on how the streets are arraigned. It's not like driving in NY. We've been going to the same place but I would try to get there tomorrow without the GPS. Take the train!!!!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Went last year. Take the train Not any parking in Boston
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL