cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buffalo Round-up at Custer State Park

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
We will be watching the Buffalo Round-up which is 1 of my "bucket list" trips... Anyone have any advice? We will be camping at Rafter-J.

Thanks, RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member
7 REPLIES 7

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Thanks everyone for the information! 5:00 am, hugh... WeeDoggie, I am guess will have to leave Rafter J around 4? It sounds like everyone had good experiences, so I am even more looking forward to this trip! Thanks again!

RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to the Black Hills for over a decade and even bought land for retirement out of Custer.

We went in 2011 and on October 3rd, after the formal roundup we just stumbled upon part of it and there were only about 10 people watching. We had the place to ourselves. It was awesome. My one and only youtube video is of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuLeON3KwDk

Action starts at about 5:40 into it and the real fun is at about 8:30 into it.

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the north side is a lot better than the south side.

Get in line early 5a.m. Stay in the right lane you will get closer in this lane. This is the way to the parking area closer to the fence.
Take your chairs and get next to the fence.
They will have coffee and somethings to eat.

Enjoy.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We were there three years ago. Had a great time, however 9a.m. is to late. The line to get in starts around 4a.m., we got in line at 5a.m. I do not remember when the gates open up but the folks running it have it down to a science. There is alot of waiting involved so be ready for a long morning. Its well worth it have a good time
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Try to arrive at the viewing area by 9 a.m. The pancakes and coffee are good. It's about a 30 minute drive from Game Lodge campground down to it.
If you have lawn chairs and can get down close to the fence, do so and hold your place ๐Ÿ™‚ If you are tall, you can stand back and look over the heads of several hundred people. We took a small kitchen step ladder that enabled us to get high enough to see over the heads.
We have only used the north side but it looks like you can see well from the south side, too.
The arts and crafts event...before the buffalo run... is really good. lots of first class crafts and art and the bison burgers are good and they do a raffle drawing every hour, but you gotta be there.
All the gift chops in the state park have good sales going.
The restaurant in the Game Lodge is a bit pricey but good.
The film at the visitor center is pretty good.
The Peter Norbeck scenic roadway is really good.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice with Rafter J.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Love 'Rafter-J'

StayWell ~~ TraveSafe ~~ HaveFun