cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground near Yosemite and Grand Canyon

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on making a long awaited trip from Florida Panhandle to Grand Canyon then on to Yosemite and Yellowstone. Looking for recommendations on parks close to Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Have a 41ft 5th wheel. We don't necessarily want to stay in the National Parks but close enough to run back and forth if needed. We plan on leaving the last week of May and are allowing 4 weeks.
18 REPLIES 18

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Main problem with North Rim is you see only about 10% of the Grand Canyon.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another vote for Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
In the summer or fall, I recommend the North Rim, not the South. It's higher, so it's cooler and has trees -- and the canyon is deeper!

I agree that anything outside of Yosemite is too far to drive in.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, there is a campground close to Yosemite, about five miles from the entrance, called Yosemite Lakes. We stayed there last spring while tripping from Wyoming to Idaho, Nevada, California (Tahoe, Yosemite and Seqouia), Palm Desert, Zion and Utah. Very convenient to the Park. If you are coming from the south to Yellowstone, you could take a look at the Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton, it's about 45 minutes from the south entrance to Yellowstone on decent roads and is a beautiful place to stay. We go up there about three times a year for about a week at a time. I wouldn't recommend the RV park simply because of the cost, almost $60 per night for full hook-up.
John A. Lichty

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Got to SOUTH Rim and stay at Trailer Village - even has shuttle stop. Great place!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer village at the Grand Canyon was a wonderful campground - sites are close to 70 ft long I could park the Jeep in front or back of the motor home on the pavement
We had snow on April 17th

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. Still working here too.

We did a X-country trip this year to the places you plan and quite a few more. It was 4 weeks plus a couple days. We put 7,600 miles on the MH. Most of those were during the 2.5 days out and 2.5 days home.

I hated to burn all that fuel in such a short trip, but we wanted to get the kids out there to see as much as possible before they got into the teenage years.

We did a day trip to the GC, so can't help you there. We left Monument Valley, stopped at GC and overnighted with family in Kingman, AZ. Hated to cut that leg short, but we had a wedding to attend in San Clemente, CA over the 4th of July weekend.

X3 on Grizzly in West Yellowstone. Great campground, great little town.

We stayed at Yosemite Ridge Resort in Buck Meadows NW of the park. It was a little too far of a drive into the park, our site was tight, and off level side to side with a soft mix of dirt and stone. What a pain.

Since we were moving often, I reserved in CGs that looked like easy in and out. This was the only one we "missed" on and really not by much.

I don't know about other routes into Yosemite, but I was glad we didn't stay in the park when we drove the Toad in. There may be a better route in or more CG choices along the other routes into the park. We chose our CG based upon leaving Sequoia, hitting Yosemite and crossing Nevada to Yellowstone.

Hey, it's only gasoline and this was, most likely, our only shot of taking this trip until retirement, hopefully, someday.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, sorry. Didn't read.

Here's where I stay at Yosemite

http://highsierrarv.com/index.html

About 15 min from Bass Lake. My favorite lake in the area. But yes, you'll need to drive a bit to get to the popular Yosemite attractions. I'd suggest staying in the park if you've never been there. So much to see, you might not want to spend all your time driving.

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Williams, AZ at Grand Canyon Railway Park for the Grand Canyon. Very nice and you wou
ld like it. All paved and very spacious. At Yosemite we stay in Lee Vining Ca at Mono Vista Rv park. Acceptable and OK. Grizzly is good in Yellowstone and Colter Bay in Grand Tetons. Loved our western trip.

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
We made the trip to Yellowstone a few years back and have already decided on Grizzly in West Yellowstone for this time. Just wasn't sure about Yosemite or GC. Wish we had 8 weeks like someone suggested but since DW and I are still working fulltime we can't that much time. Will probably spend most of our time in Yellowstone but wanted to hit the other 2 if possible.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
He said he was going to Yellowstone so he got some information.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Guess many didn't read the title or the OP's post.
Both say that they want info on GC and YOSEMITE, not Yellowstone.

If you don't stay in Yosemite, there are NO campgrounds close.
they are all a minimum of a 40 minute drive.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Stayed at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon last September. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone is 2 blocks from the west entrance to Yellowstone. We've been there twice. Excellent RV park. Restaurants and shopping within walking distance.

Another vote for Grizzly