cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds in Texas, specifically near Austin

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a married daughter in Austin, TX. Looking at going there from northwestern PA this spring. Request recommendations for campgrounds to check out. My daughter recently mentioned it would be fun for us to come down with our TT and they might rent an RV to go camping together with us. I'm eligible for military campgrounds and will check that out, too.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,
11 REPLIES 11

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
McKinney Falls State Park. X2
If you want near San Antonio. But if you're there in the spring check out the Willow City loop for the wild flowers. Then down to, of course Lukenbach!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Austin is becoming like Dallas, except Austin has a major city about one hour away. (People from Fort Worth love that joke.)
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Pedernales Falls State Park this past summer. We loved it there. Very nice, quiet and scenic. It's about 42 miles west of Austin. They do have sites with electric and water.
We chose this CG for it's proximity to the things we wanted to see like Hamilton Pool and Luckenbach. Hill country in Texas is the best.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been back to Austin since they got married. They bought a house after, never been there. Flew in for the wedding, rental car, etc. all I know of their home is by google maps and the maps.me app.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We also have a daughter in Austin,the northwestern suburb of Leander actually, and in the spring of 2018 we stayed at La Hacienda which was ok, but the sites were tight and we barely got a site in advance.
In the spring of 2019 we stayed at Inks Lake State Park, which will fill up on weekends. Nice park. For next March we got a site on the lake. Austin is crazy busy, traffic backups everywhere.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
McKinney Falls State Park.

Itโ€™s over near the airport, and is a nice park.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
If you are needing a place to stay in Austin itself, there is a new KOA on the eastern edge of town (Austin East KOA Holiday), kind of out in the country. It is new and the owner is working hard at making it a well-run park. We stayed there in early October and were impressed.

However, if you are going to do a family camping trip, I will echo the suggestion of getting out of Austin and visiting the Texas Hill Country.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Luckenbach.
Bill and Joey the dog

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If they are going to take a few days off and rent an RV to go with you, then my first choice would be to get out of the Austin mess and head over into the hill country areas around Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera, or even farther west. And then it depends on your and their interest. There are very scenic state/city parks with hookups but few amenities other than hiking/biking and enjoying nature. And visiting the quaint hill country towns. Then there are the full service RV parks with a lot of amenities. If she has lived in the area very long she can probably guide you in a good choice of places to go.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Austin is a big area. If you're trying to be near your daughter, it would be helpful to know where she is located.

I've stayed at a couple of parks in the Austin area:
- Oak Forest, this was OK but only if you get over on the new side
- La Hacienda, this was a very nice RV park, very manicured but looked like they had a nice pool and had a nice playground
- Big Oaks RV Park, this was aesthetically pleasing but no amenities (not even a bathhouse)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page