PLAGUE, SQUIRREL - USA (02): (CALIFORNIA), ALERT
A ProMED-mail post
http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org

Date: Thu 13 Jun 2013
Source: Ramona Patch [edited]
http://ramona.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/3-squirrels-test-positive-for-plague-hikers-warned?utm_

Three squirrels with plague have been discovered at Cedar Grove Campground and Doane Valley Campground.

San Diego County Department of Environmental Health officials urged hikers and campers to take simple precautions Wednesday [12 Jun 2013] to make sure they don't come into contact with squirrels or their fleas, which can spread plague, a disease caused by bacteria that can make people very sick and even kill them without quick treatment.

"It's not unusual for us to find plague in our area, and there really are simple things people can do to protect themselves," said environmental health director Jack Miller. "The big thing is to avoid contact with squirrels and the fleas they carry. If you're camping, set your tents up away from squirrel burrows. If you're hiking, don't feed squirrels, and don't let your kids play with them."

Two of the squirrels were trapped in routine monitoring at Cedar Grove Campground near Palomar Mountain; the 3rd was trapped at nearby Doane campground.

Plague is mainly a disease of wild rodents, but it can be spread to people by fleas that feed on the blood of a sick animal and then bite humans. San Diego County's environmental health department monitors flea populations at campgrounds and takes measures to control those populations whenever necessary.

People who visit or stay in rural mountain areas should look for Plague Warning signs and always follow these easy precautions to make sure they don't come into contact with plague-carrying fleas:

- Avoid contact with ground squirrels, chipmunks and other wild animals.
- Do not feed, touch or handle wild animals.
- Do not rest, camp or sleep near animal burrows in the ground.
- Do not touch sick or dead animals.
- Protect your pets by keeping them on a leash; use flea control, or, best of all, leave pets at home.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you become sick within a week of visiting an area known to have plague. (Symptoms include a sudden onset of fever, chills and tender swollen lymph nodes.)

[Byline: Shauntel Lowe]

--
Communicated by:
ProMED-mail from HealthMap Alerts

[Plague is primarily a disease of wild rodents. It is caused by the bacterium _Yersinia pestis_, which is mainly spread by the bites of infectious fleas. The bacterium is not native to North America. When it was introduced, it became established in some rodent populations. Some species are particularly susceptible. For example, _Y. pestis_ caused the extinction of entire colonies of black-tailed prairie dogs. Small rodents such as deer mice and grasshopper mice are suggested to act as the reservoirs. Larger species like squirrels and chipmunks are considered to be more vulnerable to infection.

A ProMED-mail HealthMap of the affected area can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/7mVg. - Mod.PMB]

http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20130619.1781960
12 REPLIES 12

JSE80
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
The issue is where you have squirrels you will find people feeding them and eventually trying to get them to eat out of their hands. That or they find a sick squirrel and try and help it. If you get bit by a squirrel with the plague it could be a life threatening event. No to mention I have never seen a dog that would not chase a squirrel. Plague in ground squirrels is not a common occurence, at least not in SoCal. Hence the warning.

Thank you. My dog absolutely loves to chase them, and I'll keep notes on this situation and any new campgrounds with this problem.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
Awww, man! Screaming kids, dumping dogs, golf carts, drunks, smoky campfires, to dump or not dump the black tank, and now diseased squirrels. Maybe cruises on Carnival Cruise lines isn't such a bad alternative after all! :s

The cruise ships do not need to meet any country's public health standards and are only inspected at most twice a year and even then no action can be taken by authorities. Carnival Cruise line, though based in Florida, is another US corporation that pays no US taxes but gets a free ride on the backs of taxpayers.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all left out all the tick borne illnesses we face. And THEY can get on us via our faithful furkids. It's a very simple principle that so many don't seem to understand-DON'T FEED OR TOUCH THE WILDLIFE!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I think a diesel would be better than gas to use to feed them with:D
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
...to throw another curve into this 'soon to be very lively' converstion.... that goes for those cute little chipmunks that everyone feeds, including the tiniest of kids (parents, listen up). :W
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
The issue is where you have squirrels you will find people feeding them and eventually trying to get them to eat out of their hands. That or they find a sick squirrel and try and help it. If you get bit by a squirrel with the plague it could be a life threatening event. No to mention I have never seen a dog that would not chase a squirrel. Plague in ground squirrels is not a common occurence, at least not in SoCal. Hence the warning.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The article uses "not unusual" "routine". This problem has been around for years. Just like brucelosis in deer & elk in northern area. These are wild animals. Not a petting zoo. Leave them alone & not a problem.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Cuffs054 wrote:
D&M,
Lately that pretty much sounds like a cruise on Carnival!

When I read some of the rants folks post here, and read the news about the "fun times" Carnival Cruises has lately, they both seem to be equal in vacation fun. LOL.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
D&M,
Lately that pretty much sounds like a cruise on Carnival!

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
Awww, man! Screaming kids, dumping dogs, golf carts, drunks, smoky campfires, to dump or not dump the black tank, and now diseased squirrels. Maybe cruises on Carnival Cruise lines isn't such a bad alternative after all! :s

That is pretty good. In fact i got an E mail from Carnival, might go on one of there ships, but we prefer Princess or Celebrity cruses.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
So in a natural setting they have found what is found in ALL natural settings....nature doing it's thing. It is ALWAYS a good idea to not interact with wild animals (including squirrels and their fleas whether in those campgrounds, any OTHER camp grounds or in no campground at all.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.