cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Vail, CO

anitajeff
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for camping near Vail, CO. Would like full hookups if possible. Or at least water and electric. Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
anitajeff wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are have decided to stay and explore in Glenwood Springs, CO instead. Will probably drive into Vail for the day. It's about 1 hour from Glenwood Springs.
I think you are wise to stay in Glenwood, as the drive from Leadville involves crossing Tennessee Pass and the "shelf road" at Gilman. Of course, US 24 is a very scenic drive and you can visit the old mining town of Red Cliff, the WWII-vintage site of Camp Hale, and the 10th Mountain Division Memorial along the way.

I-70 from Glenwood is an easy drive with no passes and is actually one of the more scenic sections of Interstate highway in the nation. And, if you want some real exercise, stop in the canyon and hike up to Hanging Lake.

Of course any Glenwood RV park near I-70 and the railroad tracks (e.g., Glenwood Canyon Resort, Ami's Acres, etc.) will have considerable noise, so have a good set of earplugs! BTW, just curious, but what's in Vail that's of interest?
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Love B V area! Can visit from Leadville to St. Elmo (ya gotta check that out).
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
anitajeff wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are have decided to stay and explore in Glenwood Springs, CO instead. Will probably drive into Vail for the day. It's about 1 hour from Glenwood Springs.

If you are just looking for base camp take a look at Leadville, so much to do and it is really not that far a drive - and I love the drive - from Vail or Aspen or Crested Butte or Buena Vist or Collegiate Peaks or Turquoise Lake or Twin Lakes or Arkansas River.............. on and on just one of our favorite spots to hide out in Colorado. Not to Mention Quincy's Resturant in Leadville. or K's in Buena Vista.

Just a whole lot of reasons to be in the area and I only mentioned a few!!!

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

anitajeff
Explorer
Explorer

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:
Yup, Tiger Run is about the only place around and they have a real "only show in town" attitude. We stayed there 3 times when we lived in CO and swore we would never go back - and have not. High priced and they always seemed to have something wrong with something.

x2 Stayed there a couple of times. Yes, there is always something wrong with something and they are working on it.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:
River Dance in Gypsum would be your other choice vs. going over Vail Pass to Breck. Haven't stayed there so can't comment on the facilities.

I stayed there one time when I was too tired to make it home. No sewer at sites must use dump station. Noise from I70 was horrible. Wifi didn't work.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
River Dance in Gypsum would be your other choice vs. going over Vail Pass to Breck. Haven't stayed there so can't comment on the facilities.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, Tiger Run is about the only place around and they have a real "only show in town" attitude. We stayed there 3 times when we lived in CO and swore we would never go back - and have not. High priced and they always seemed to have something wrong with something.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clattertruck wrote:
Vail people would be horrified if an RV got into town.

That is funny-and true!!

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
Vail people would be horrified if an RV got into town.
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
anitajeff wrote:
Looking for camping near Vail, CO. Would like full hookups if possible. Or at least water and electric. Any suggestions?

As others have noted, there's not much in that area to meet your needs for FHU sites. Breck is around 20 miles away, for Tiger Run. And Tiger Run ain't cheap! For another 5 miles, you could go to Leadville. There's Sugar Loaf'n Campground outside of town. A bit rustic for some tastes, but it has full hookups, for considerably less than Tiger Run -- $38/night for 30amp full hookups. And Leadville is an interesting place to visit, has it's own very distinct, funky charm.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
Vail is a pretty expensive and exclusive spot, I've never seen any RV(s) there. Tiger run is great, but going over vail pass from Breckenridge would not be convenient, imho. If vail is the true destination, then I know there may be places to the West within an easier drive ... or Gore Creek CG found on rvparkreviews "There are not many campgrounds near Vail but we had read about a first come, first served National Forest Campground just east of town called Gore Creek. As we had our choice of sites when we arrived and settled in easily. The sites are large and private. There are no services other than pit toilets. We arrived under fire restrictions so no camp fires here (although usually, that is not a problem). You can hear the road noise from I-70 faintly but itโ€™s quiet enough that the wind in the aspen trees drowns it out. It was a great spot to stay near Vail and we would definitely stop here again. There is no Wi-Fi but the 3G signal was strong. We camped here in a Motorhome. "

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger Run at Breckinridge is the closest FHU park to Vail that I know of. There are govt campgrounds around the area but I don't know what kind of hookups they have. River Dance in Gypsum has electric and water but no sewer. It's surprising to me there aren't more FHU parks close to Vail.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon