cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

campsite photos

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made reservations on Skidaway Island a few days ago, based on a photo from CampsitePhotos.com. The photo and description showed 50 amp and a 50 foot site.
Photos sometimes don't depict the truth. We are here now and the site is big enough for the rig and the jeep. No fifty amp and what appeared to be asphalt is dirt. No gravel, just gray/black dirt. Hope it does not rain. The road inside the CG is VERY narrow and one must be very conscious of where your wheels are while watching for low limbs and leaning trees.
Not complaining about the site - it is so much better than many places we have stayed that look like parking lots with hookups. I am disappointed in the website that mislead me. I have told several people how great and easy it was to see what you are getting. Looks like is bought a "pig in a poke", but in this case the bacon is pretty good. If I misled any of you good people, I apologize.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
8 REPLIES 8

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, it can be a **** shoot, even if you've been to that campground before.

We stayed at Fort Wilderness (Disney) and they were in the process of modifying the sites and the landscaping. Looked like a post apocalyptic movie.

At least the FL State Parks will often put a statement on the campground's main webpage saying if work is being done.

Short of calling an asking before the reservation... you just never really know.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the OP have used Campsite Photos quite often and found that it is a good resource for seeing the campsites in a park that I have not been to before,as stated sometimes the photos are old and things have changed,trees gone,rocks moved and untrimmed trees,but that is to be expected.

Another resource that I found is Campground Views these are mostly short videos that show what it is like in the parks,the roads and entrances and such. I have found that it was very helpful in one park. The site was just right but the road into and thru to the site was not what I wanted to try.

I also use Google Earth to look at the place and zoom in as close as I can to get a lay out and the roads.

That would be a good place for the OP to post about the roads in this campground.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Which Skidaway park were you at? We stayed at the state park and had tons of room for our 40' toyhauler. I bragged to friends that we could have put two trailers end-to-end with ease. Next time try the state park.

When I am looking for a new park I push the RV Parks button at the top of this page. Good Sam has been a reliable source for us as we don't like staying in junky parks. I also look at the parks on Google Maps to see the layout.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Another post, another point of view... We use Reserve America to reserve our campsites, especially for Indiana State Parks. When booking a site, Reserve America always has photos of the actual campsite. In the last couple years, we've been very disappointed on more than one occasion when the photos did not match the real world experience. You see, the photos had been taken a few years earlier and the campsites looked great! Analyzing the photos, yes, I can navigate those trees. When we got to the campground(s), the trees are all gone! Cut down ... zilch .. none! They were cut down because of the Ash Bore infestation and Reserve America had not updated the photos. End result, what we though was a shady campsite, turned out to be full sun. (This has happened a few times). So, it does go both ways, you know! We've learned, photos are a guide, not the rule of thumb.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You can't always trust the campground web site (or Reserve America) either. Earlier this year we stayed at a Kentucky State Park, a Wednesday through Sunday. The web site said 50 amp service.

We got there OK, but there was only 1 post, shared between 2 campsites, arranged very odd. The post had a 20, 30, and 50 amp plug-in. We took the 50 amp.

Friday night, campers came in the other site and insisted they had the 50 amp plug and we should move ours. We contacted management to have them settle it. Management decided the other site got the 50 amp and we had to take the 30 amp. What could we do? We switched, and then said we wanted a refund on our campsite as we were going to go ahead an leave, and we pressed the issue.

Funny though, the State Park manager guy intervened and offered us a move, no extra charge if we were willing to take it. They had sites open in the horseman's campground, all 50 amp with water and sewage at each site. We drove over, took a look, and said, OK. The sites were all pull through, huge, and full hook-up as he said. We broke camp and took the spot.

Oh yea, there were some horses there, but I'd rather smell the horse **** than the **** from those people who came in Friday night. As I told my wife, we either leave the State Park completely, or take the other spot. The ill feelings we had about those Friday night arrivals had already stained our experience. It was best we move.

We also complained highly to the campground to get the Reserve America posting for those two campsites fixed. He told us (then, after everything was settled, we moved, and all was done) that they had addressed the issue with Reserve America as we were not the first campers there that had the same problem and not the first campers they ended up moving to the Horsemans Campground as an alternative.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I use CampsitePhotos.com to scope out what a site looks like, but I would never count on a picture on that site to tell me what amperage was available at the site - I use that site often, and I'm not sure how you can tell from a photo anything about the electric hookup - you can see a power post in the pictures - that's about it.

Your best bet is to use the CG's website to find out what hookups are available and what surface the site has - paved, sand, crushed stone, etc.

But your camping and having a good time, and that's what counts most.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
Did you use the campground website to make reservations? Pictures and details of each site are on the website

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We need a place to post actual, realistic pictures of campgrounds that we stay at, so others can see before they go. Advertising pictures sometimes a selective.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.