cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Castle Crag Campground just north of Redding CA

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has stayed at this campground. I looks nice but pretty close to I5. Is road noise and issue. Also, I see its open year round. We will be going thru early December and wondering what the weather conditions might be.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
PS: Valley of the Rouge, on the other side of the pass, is the same situation where you drive in for 45 minutes, but you are driving parallel to the freeway so you still end up close to it.

They have a fun looking bike path along the water, though.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed there two winters ago.

The road noise is pretty loud. Not like you can't sleep, but for the length of time you drve to get in to the main campground, it's disappointing to end up perched right above the freeway. Also the campsites there are extremely unlevel and rough.

There are two sections of campground, though. I was in the one to the west, up above the freeway, which is a 30 or 45 minute drive in.

The other one is to the east of the freeway and I think lower down. I didn't choose it because I thought it would be noisier, but having experienced the upper campground, if I stay again I would try the lower. I'm thinking now that the road noise is probably the same in both places and the lower one is not such a drive in. I mean, if I'm going to drive 45 minutes off the freeway I would rather go somewhere more remote ๐Ÿ™‚

OTOH, I was just there for an overnight, and it would be more fun to stay a couple of nights and climb around on the rocks and stuff, and those are in the upper part. The lower part might have river access, I'm not sure.

There are bear boxes, and I don't think there are showers. And, yes, it is cold. It's quite high altitude, in either section. I was there in mid-october and it was well below freezing, though no snow yet. That was a drought year.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there several years ago for overnight. Don't recall any road noise but I do remember getting undressed for bed and finding a tick stuck into my side.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
No road noise at all. In December....you most likely have to deal with snow. Many times the freeway is closed at Mountain Gate to the south and Yreka to the north......when the storms hit.
cpaulsen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the fire hasn't affected it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at JGW RV park.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I stay at Mountain gate RV park which is a bit south - worth a look.
Kevin