cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changes at CG's in the Tonto National Forrest Roosevelt Lake

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roosevelt Lake, the largest within Arizona is an amazing outdoor playground. We are fortunate to live just 50 miles to the north. We had not visited the Windy Hill CG for several years and things have changed dramatically... be advised:

In the past you wolud purchase a Tonto Pass at local merchants, scratch off the arrival information and display the completed pass in/on your vehicle.

At $8 a night they were a bargain. We stopped at the IGA store in Roosevelt and purchased 4 {2 for this trip and couple of spares}. Set up in a lovely site {313 - there are 347 sites in Windy hill all with tables, Ramada's, fire rings etc but no electrical hookups. Flush toilets are provided and the views of the lake are amazing.

As we were exploring the CG, it is huge with multiple launch ramps some of which actually reach the water though a couple are high and dry as the lake is only at 66 percent of capacity... but I digress, we saw signs stating that venerable Tonto Pass' were not valid for campground sites and were good only for day use and or shore camping along the lake. This was news to us. :h

Now there is an automated fee payment machine at the entrance to Windy Hill {about a mile in from AZ 188}. It takes credit or debit cards only and will take a few minutes to wade through all of the screens before printing out you pass that allows you to stay in the dedicated campground. It is $25 a night and $12.50 for those of us with senior pass cards.

The obvious problem I see is that as Windy Hill has 347 sites and it takes a few minutes to pay for and print your pass so the back up during the more popular dates is going to be epic as there is only one machine. :S I spoke at length with USFS ranger this morning and he acknowledged the problem but stated that the change came from Washington so they had to live with it.

Recreation.gov remains and option and frankly one I would recommend. Failure to have the correct pass displayed comes with a $100 fine so be aware. When you buy the old Tonto Pass at the local merchants they don't tell you it is not valid for a campsite within the dedicated campgrounds {Windy hill and Cholla}. I suggested that they need to notify the merchants selling the passes to provide some signage reflecting this change and he agreed. Ironically this change has been in place for a couple of years... go figure?

:C
3 REPLIES 3

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My family grew up on Roosevelt when we were into boating/camping beginning back in the 70's. The feds came in and ruined how we boated/camped at Windy Hill with those ramadas. Boaters don't want to shore park their boat and be 1/4 mile away in a ramada. And those fees they charge are outrageous. I used to pay $10 a day to put my boat on the federally owned Roosevelt. Seems to me the feds don't want our boats on THEIR lake. I've been to the Texas gulf coast and also the Florida Keys and there is no charge to use their boat ramps.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
That whole pass system for Tonto NF is a PITA, IMO.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

dedmiston
Moved from General.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230