cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross country road trip towing.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Just trying to get some info on a trip we plan to take in May & June.

Brief synopsis of my plans. Leaving Ca. heading to Iowa for a family visit for a week. Then heading east thru Indiana, Ohio, Gettysburg then maybe on to NYC for the 9/11 memorial, and also Ellis Island.

My main focus of this trip is the east coast.

Then south to Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Norfolk area then back west to Arkansas for a visit and then home.

I don't need info on anything west of the Mississippi river. The last time I was back east was 1990 driving a car. That was basically to Gettysburg and DC.

I will be towing a 27 ft. travel trailer. I plan on about 50 days give or take.

I'm going to do 3 or 4 posts to cover a few of states in each post.I need some info on Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania here.

First off stopping in Indiana just to go to the IMS race track again.

1. Need a recommendation for a campground in the area. 2 nights max.

2. Then on to Dayton to visit the Air Force museum. Campground recommendation around Dayton. 2 nights.

Then east to Gettysburg area.The question here is I want to avoid the Pennsylvania turnpike if I can for cost reasons, etc. I was thinking of taking I-79 south to I-68 east to Hagerstown then on to Gettysburg.

Any thoughts about this route?

3.Thoughts on campgrounds around Gettysburg. Probably 3 nights.

Philadelphia and NYC are 50/50 whether I will make them a stop.

4.In case I do, recommendations for a campground in the Philly area.

I'll stop here and hope to get some good reponses to my questions.

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
...some tunnels have bottled gas restrictions...
RV propane bottles are permitted through the tunnels on the PA turnpike. They are not permitted through the tunnels near Baltimore. They are permitted on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel between Cape Charles and Norfolk, VA and in the tunnels West of Norfolk (You will be asked or inspected to make sure they are turned off).
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:
...Then east to Gettysburg area.The question here is I want to avoid the Pennsylvania turnpike if I can for cost reasons, etc. I was thinking of taking I-79 south to I-68 east to Hagerstown then on to Gettysburg.

Any thoughts about this route?...
We have taken this route several times in both directions. In my experience, I-68 has less traffic then the turnpike/I-70 and of course no tolls. We drove the I-68/I-81 route in late November 2017. Good roads.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a KOA west of Dayton, Ohio on I-70 if you are interested. It is about 20 miles west of Dayton. Ohio. Both BuckCreek and Hueston Woods State parks are good choices also.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll do some research on the info provided.

I'm glad to hear my suspicions about the Pa. turnpike are valid.

I don't mind the extra miles for piece of mind. I calculated a rough toll amount of $70 when towing a trailer.

I figure there will be some road maint. going on no matter which one's I take.

I'll do my other posts in the coming days so any input on my questions will be appreciated.

Any campgrounds by IMS race track recommended?

Columbus to Gettysburg - MAP - this will keep you off the PA turnpike - which is only fun in a sports car - JMHO. Live in this neck of the woods and speak from many trips out and back.

Campgrounds - you will need to address each area separately As people all have their favorites.

If the Cities are all you are after - might throw DC into the Mix - if Beauty and Fun are in the Mix - Think Beaches - Say Blue Ridge Parkway - Upstate NY - All around PA in the lakes and Reservoirs, Rivers and Streams - Beautiful areas.

If you were to head out in the Southern routes look into more beaches and Places like Asheville - Biltmore - Lake Toxaway - Hilton Head - Blue Ridge - WilliamsBurg - again Lakes and Reservoirs.

When you repost think about breaking the posts into say 1 week sections, then we might be able to help you with more particulars.

Best of Luck - lot's to see - Traffic once you are east of the Mississippi is a Bear - Good Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll do some research on the info provided.

I'm glad to hear my suspicions about the Pa. turnpike are valid.

I don't mind the extra miles for piece of mind. I calculated a rough toll amount of $70 when towing a trailer.

I figure there will be some road maint. going on no matter which one's I take.

I'll do my other posts in the coming days so any input on my questions will be appreciated.

Any campgrounds by IMS race track recommended?

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
I79 to I68 is a good choice. We always take that route west. Another reason to avoid the Turnpike are the tunnels which my wife goes thru with her eyes closed. I avoid US 40 when I can. From Hagerstown you can go north on I81 to US 30 to Gettysburg or take the country route that is MD 60 to MD 418 to PA16 to Emmitsburg and then north on US 15 to G-burg. I81 would be quicker but a little longer. If you're a Civil War buff, Hagerstown is 12 miles from Antietam.

Artillery Ridge and Roundtop are RV parks that come to mind for riding a bike on the Battlefield. We've stayed at Roundtop many times but that was long ago. The Gettysburg Campground on the Fairfield Road looks nice as I drive by.

We've stayed at Timberlane CG in Clarksboro, NJ on a couple visits to Philly. It may have recently become a KOA. It's also convenient to the USS New Jersey and the Adventure Aquarium in Camden. Just a couple hours up I95 is Liberty Harbor RV Park and the wonders of New York
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend Buck Creek Lake State Park https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buck+Creek+State+Park/@39.969987,-84.0006138,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0...to visit the Air Force Museum. They have electric hookups. Sites are nicely spaced. They have a nice lake with separate beach for campers. They have a nice well stocked store. As for Gettysburg,I would recommend Pine Grove Furnace State park. Electric hookups,new bath houses,swimming beach at lake with nice new bath house and snack bar.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I like Artillery Ridge Campground in Gettysburg. From there I can ride a bike all over the battlefield and into town. If you like horses, you can ride the battlefield as well. It is an average campground, but it works for me. They also take Passport America.

US40 is another option and might save a few miles, but takes a bit longer. US40 has some hills, but not nearly as difficult as US30.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For Philly, if you're interested in the city itself (and not beautiful surroundings or fancy amenities), perhaps the Campus Park and Ride would be a reasonable choice.

There is a whole lot to see and do in Philadelphia!

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help on campgrounds. When we do long trips west , south or north we seem to end up at KOA's. Your thoughts on avoiding toll roads are valid, they are extremely high if you have a trailer, plus some tunnels have bottled gas restrictions. Do some homework and keep asking questions. Sounds like a great trip you are planning.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
2. Then on to Dayton to visit the Air Force museum. Campground recommendation around Dayton. 2 nights.

Houston Woods State park is 30 miles or so very nice. There is also a state park at Springfield and it is not as nice as other. Unless you need toys for kids I prefer state parks always. They are cleaner and well managed.

wireman wrote:
Just trying to get some info on a trip we plan to take in May & June.

Brief synopsis of my plans. Leaving Ca. heading to Iowa for a family visit for a week. Then heading east thru Indiana, Ohio, Gettysburg then maybe on to NYC for the 9/11 memorial, and also Ellis Island.

My main focus of this trip is the east coast.

Then south to Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Norfolk area then back west to Arkansas for a visit and then home.

I don't need info on anything west of the Mississippi river. The last time I was back east was 1990 driving a car. That was basically to Gettysburg and DC.

I will be towing a 27 ft. travel trailer. I plan on about 50 days give or take.

I'm going to do 3 or 4 posts to cover a few of states in each post.I need some info on Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania here.

First off stopping in Indiana just to go to the IMS race track again.

1. Need a recommendation for a campground in the area. 2 nights max.

Then east to Gettysburg area.The question here is I want to avoid the Pennsylvania turnpike if I can for cost reasons, etc. I was thinking of taking I-79 south to I-68 east to Hagerstown then on to Gettysburg.

3.Thoughts on campgrounds around Gettysburg. Probably 3 nights.

Philadelphia and NYC are 50/50 whether I will make them a stop.

4.In case I do, recommendations for a campground in the Philly area.

I'll stop here and hope to get some good reponses to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:

This is a good choice, I use this route when going west, and back from the Harrisburg, PA area. It is about 45 miles farther but, for me, the extra gas is cheaper than paying the tolls. Plus, the PA Turnpike is a boring ride.
I'll gladly drive the extra distance to avoid the turnpike.

IF you decide to take the PA Turnpike, DO NOT get off at Breezewood and take US 30 east to save on the tolls. It is hilly, winding and has a couple runaway truck ramps before you get to Fort Loudon.