Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Sky Camping

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
22' Class C, Home Port: Florida
I am looking for a campsite in a Dark Sky region in the U.S. We want to see the constellations in a dark sky. I assume we will have to dry camp for a couple of nights which is no problem, maybe a BLM site. We will need to get the 22' Class C to the site, but it is pretty nimble.
Any recommendations?
49 REPLIES 49

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Cosmic Park off 180 North of Silver City, NM

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila/recarea/?recid=82479

Most of rural NM is going to be dark sky except around the oil patch in the southeastern part of the state.
I need some wild

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The next step in star gazing is to gain some elevation. If you like the sky in the desert, try it from 10,000 feet. Much less atmosphere between you and the Universe. Colorado and New Mexico are really good at elevation. So are Nevada and Utah. Nothing wrong with Oregon and Washington. I almost forgot ID, MT, and WY. AZ

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend eastern Oregon. There's not much between Bend and Boise, plus it's higher altitude and dryer. I have a favorite forest service CG there where there's no electricity for miles.

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your suggestion.
Our first Dark Sky trip will be on Wednesday. 55 minutes from our home to Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park, Okeechobee, FL. Designated as a dark blue / light gray for light pollution.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/dark-sky-designation
It is the largest most primitive prairie in Florida, probably in the South East as prairies go.

Then we are going to try Bahia Honda State Park in Big Pine Key, FL. Another on the dark sky list as dark blue. Beautiful water Sunrises and Sunsets.

Hopefully, this will whet our appetites for the dark grey / black Dark Sky Parks in the South, Southwest.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone seen the Northern Lights from the Lower 48? I have seen them a couple of times from the Northern Cascades in WA near the Canadian border. Best in late Aug/Sept at around 6,000 feet or higher in the backcountry where no lights are visible.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Check out their Astronomy section..... neat.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dedmiston
http://rustysrvranch.com/

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
JKJavelin wrote:
Rusty's Rv Ranch in Rodeo, NM is a dark sky resort with full hookups and takes Passport America. Many stargazers there.
JK

I was just about to suggest Rusty's.

They were very strict about enforcing dark sky rules. No outdoor lights, no porch lights, no flashlights, etc. They even handed out red flashlights when you checked in.

This was one of the most amazing places I've ever camped.

Rusty's

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an east coast offering.

Stanton River
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The most stars I've ever seen in my life were is southwest Texas. I've never seen anywhere darker. If there is a better place, I want to go.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned previously, Chaco Culture NHP in NM is an International Dark Skies Park. It even has its own observatory and telescope, so that visitors can view in close-up some of the features depicted in petroglyphs by the Anasazi 1,000 years ago.

I happened to be there one time when the Albuquerque Astronomy Society brought their telescopes. We were able to view many different parts of the sky--galaxies, star clusters, and planets--in just a single night. Absolutely the best night of astronomy I have ever had.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the Rockies westward, you almost can't miss (if you stay away from towns). High altitude, dry climate, no population.

It gets cold at night -- bring really warm clothing, gloves, hats, etc., even in the summer.

Once we started boondocking, the stars became one of the goals of every trip, whenever possible. I never get tired of seeing the Milky Way. Meteor showers are a major plus, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
The Big Bend National Park is a designated International Dark Sky Park. We found the Chisos Basin campground in BBNP to be fantastic for stargazing, and you should have no problems getting there with a 22' RV. You see many folks laying out on air mattresses at night to watch the sky.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Oklahoma Panhandle, Kenton Oklahoma area.

Middle of nowhere, people come from all over the USA and Canada for the http://www.okie-tex.com/schedule.php Okie-Tex Star Party. This is an organized event with nationally and internationally known speakers. However you don’t have to go to the actual event , you can find places around there.

Good thing you have an RV, there are few services nearby. Be well supplied. Hhoever f you attend the Okie%Tex Star Party you’ll have all you need there.

Okie-Tex Star Party

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
AlwaysDreaming wrote:
Tin-bender wrote:
Don't know how far you want to travel but this is one of the best. Stayed there many times because it is only 1/2 hour to the jump off points to the wilderness area and world class trout fishing. Stars so bright you can't sleep and only 4 miles off state highway on paved road.
Tinbender

Thanks, exactly which state and park are you talking about

Sorry about that, I was a little lax in my discription.
It is in Northern California, high desert, just south of Alturas.
Tinbender

****, did it again, It is called the Likely Place in Likely Ca.