cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

December in TN/NC Mountains Suggestions

FLfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about taking our motor home to NC or TN to the mountains so that our daughter can see snow and go sledding, tubing, etc. We live in FL and have been to Mama Gerties (loved it) and to Townsend KOA. Where is the most convenient campground to a location where we can do snow activities that's also accessible in the winter conditions in a motor home? We also go to the mountains in the summer, so I'm unfamiliar with going when the roads might be icy (we're Floridians). Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Creekwood Farms CG in Waynesville, NC. Close to Maggie Valley.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Ober Gatlinburg is a fun place for kids and the young at heart. It has an indoor skating rink, a tubing hill that is awesome, ski slope, restaurant and some shops to find something to take home. They make their own snow when the temps get low enough so you won't be dependant on mother nature.

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you'll have to go to Ober gatlinburg in gatlinburg or to Boone nc theirs 3 or 4 ski slopes around boone I know Vanderpool campground just outside of boone is open year round man made probably all the snow you'll find.not saying it won't snow by then but we don't have winter like we used to around here.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We recommend The Rivers Edge to our friends that want to visit the area.

Depending on the weather, you may or not see snow. Ober Gatlinburg will be will be fun. Snow or not.
Newfound Gap, may have snow.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Indiana where it's customary to have severe snowy winters. But I lived in the Piedmont area (foothills of the Smokies) of North Carolina for a couple years (1979-1980). Winters were very mild there, and nothing like Indiana. So I was shocked when temps hit about 30 degrees and a light rain occurred over night and the entire area shut down. Schools canceled, business closed, college classes canceled. I simply could not understand why such a little cold weather and a little bit of 'dew' (in my opinion) would cause the entire area to shut down.

So, I decided (like an idiot) to take off in my car and I wasn't more than 1/4 mile from my home and I was over the ditch, down a ravine and sitting in the middle of a cow pasture! I walked to the next farm house up the road and the neighbor got his tractor and chains out and pulled me back to the road.

He also called me a dumb A$$ and a few other choice words, stating that once those road ice over, nothing moves. The side of the roads in ditches and down the sides of hills is where folks end up! I learned my lesson, and next time a bit of icy rain hit, I stayed put!

It's just something to think about!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
There are a few places to ski in TN/NC. I would check them out. If there is snow on the roads, it should melt in a day. If you are stranded on the road in snow, pull into a rest area or truck stop and "camp" for a day.

TN/NC does not always have snow in December. Having said this one of the biggest snow storms I can remember in TN was on Thanksgiving day 1952 (?). We got about 8 inches.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos