cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Denver and surrounding areas

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Have a question for you all. Does anyone know of a campground/RV park in the general Denver area that would be good for an extended stay for a few weeks in the summer? It does not have to be a "resort" style park but something clean and safe we could stay in for a few weeks or so without the "resort" prices. We have an older 5th wheel that we want to use. We would also not want to be at an elevation much greater than that of Denver, say not over 6,500' for so. We have looked at some parks located in the 7,000 to 8,000' elevation point and they are all needing to run outside LP sources even in the summer due to the drop in temp in the evening. Would like to be within an hour or so driving distance to the Centennial area if possible. Thanks in advance.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
10 REPLIES 10

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!
Curly

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly2001 wrote:
All the parks are full, for now. I am thinking does anyone have a lead on a private park or campground with full hook ups?
Thanks very much,
Curly

Dakota Ridge mentioned earlier would probably be your best bet. When you said "summer" in your original post, I read that to mean NEXT summer. September/October are still prime camping months in lower elevation state parks and reservations there would have been made months ago.

If you ARE looking for next summer, start watching the booking window starting in late November/early December. In the spring, many places don't open until mid to late May.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
All the parks are full, for now. I am thinking does anyone have a lead on a private park or campground with full hook ups?
Thanks very much,
Curly

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re looking at State Parks, you HAVE TO reserve 6 months to the day in advance. Otherwise good luck.

Cherry Creek and Chatfield are your best options close to Centennial.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you want to be close to Centennial, start with H E R E - CO State Parks
, scroll down and input Cherry Creek and Chatfield SP. These are both close to Centennial without having to drive far. Both are excellent state parks, with full hookups and/or electric only. I'm pretty sure there is a 2 week limit, but you could stay at one and then move over to the other, if you're going to be here more than 2 weeks. There is a 180 day/6 month booking window so if you have dates in mind watch the booking window very closely as they both book really fast during the height of the season. There's a lot more info om the CPW website.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
IT is not at 7000 feet,but look at bear creek park by Morrison Co.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years but we've stayed at PepperPod campground in Hudson, CO northeast of Denver a couple times. 450 5th Avenue Hudson, Co. 80642
https://hudsonrvpark.com

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
My go to park was st varian state park just north of Denver. I stopped trying to go there after Colorado changed the reservation policies, it became almost impossible to get a site. Its worth a try for you however great park.
https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/stvrain

Two years ago I stayed at cherry creek reservoir state park. This also is a great park south of denver.

https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/cherrycreek

A few years ago I had a hard time finding a spot in the foot hills and stayed at the KOA in central city. Its a great park but the elevation was to much for me to handle. I totally understand wanting to stay in the lower elevation.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will check them out.
Curly

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at three locations over the years in the greater Denver area:

- Cherry Creek State Park, nice place, central location (way more central than the other two locations), is popular so can be booked up fairly quickly. Not sure if there is a time limit but suspect a couple weeks would be okay.

- Denver East/Strasburg KOA, located about 25 minutes east from greater Denver/Aurora on hwy 70, nice place but not real close to Denver related amenities/activities.

- Dakota Ridge RV Park, very nice place with resort-like facilities, west of Denver on hwy 70.

Have been to each place at least a few times and can recommend either but Dakota Ridge would be my top choice, although a bit more expensive than the others.

Because Denver has relatively few local, decent rv places, it would be a good idea to book well in advance. There are a couple others, but of less quality, in my opinion.

Marv