cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Emergency Travel - Texas to South Georgia?

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Like the subject says, DW and I have to make an emergency trip from Wichita Falls to Lake Park, GA. Her Daddy is on hospice care, and I must get her there sooner - as it is likely we won't be able to travel later. To avoid Louisiana completely, we will take US 82 across southern Arkansas. At some point, probably in Mississippi, we will drop down to US 84 to avoid Albany, GA (the coronavirus capital). If I am able to accomplish this trip

Here's the questions:
Are private RV parks open?
Will I have problems crossing state lines?
Basic route and points of entry: Texas -> Arkansas at Texarkana, Arkansas -> Mississippi at Greenville, Mississippi -> Alabama at BFM, and Alabama -> Georgia at Donalsonville.
Should I purchase a generator, "just in case?"
Any known snafus?
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, gang!
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS
28 REPLIES 28

manley
Explorer
Explorer
411 miles to go. Lord willing, we will shelter in place with our daughter and her family tonight.
Hensley Arrow

manley
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
If schools are empty, anywhere in the USA, just pull in and stay the night?

That is horrifically dangerous advice!!!
School rules, regulations, etc. have tighter up so much in the last several years that literally no unauthorized access is allowed. Just because schools are not in sessions doesnโ€™t mean the rules are lifted. In my area, they would haul you off to jail simply for being present without authorization. And God forbid you have a weapon of any kind in your possession (knife, gun, baseball bat, taser, bear spray.....).

I have no idea why this suggestion would EVER cross someoneโ€™s mind, especially when you can pull into virtually any rest stop, Walmart parking lot, or other acceptable area.

Let me repeat: private parks are open. Everything I have seen regarding local SIP and shutdown orders allows them to remain open as essential businesses. Think, if you will, about how many full time residents many parks have. In that respect, they are really no different than apartment complexes!

Besides, YES, I am aware that my presence on school grounds would violate many of the STUPID gun free zone ordinances.
Hensley Arrow

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If schools are empty, anywhere in the USA, just pull in and stay the night?

That is horrifically dangerous advice!!!
School rules, regulations, etc. have tighter up so much in the last several years that literally no unauthorized access is allowed. Just because schools are not in sessions doesnโ€™t mean the rules are lifted. In my area, they would haul you off to jail simply for being present without authorization. And God forbid you have a weapon of any kind in your possession (knife, gun, baseball bat, taser, bear spray.....).

I have no idea why this suggestion would EVER cross someoneโ€™s mind, especially when you can pull into virtually any rest stop, Walmart parking lot, or other acceptable area.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Did Manley make the trip?

In process. Currently down for the night in Meridian, MS. Thanks for all the very helpful advice. Iโ€™m happy to report that travel has been EZPZ.

Thank you all again especially for the prayers,
Hensley Arrow

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Did Manley make the trip?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus, there is an old military proverb: "Only the paranoid survive." You don't sound silly to me -- you sound well-prepared and alert.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice. We just traveled 1500 miles and are almost home. Fueling is the biggest interaction. Dog poop bag on one hand, credit card in the other. I run the card, punch in the ZIP code and start pumping. Return my card to my wife holding a bleach wipe and go back to the pump. When finished I drop the poop bag into the trash and walk to the passenger window where my wife hands me a fresh wipe.

Do I feel silly around the other people fueling up with zero protection? Yes, however we have a plan to get home safely. Time will tell if it works.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck!! Our best wishes are with you.

You probably already know this, but bring lots of disposable plastic bags for gas stations. Slip the bags over your hands, get gas, throw away. I also use rubber bands to keep the bags from flopping around.

Be especially careful of the keypad where you enter your credit card info. That kind of a slick hard surface (like an ATM) has been found to be particularly hospitable to the virus.

Disinfect your card with hand sanitizer?? Seems like a lot of trouble, but that is what the experts are saying.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a place to overnight in Bama that's free, simply send me a message.

I'll throw you a long power cord out the window. smile
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that some towns are putting curfews in place so might want to limit your travel to daylight hours only. Things are changing hourly.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, we do have a letter from the facility deeming it โ€œessential travel,โ€ and DW is an RN. I have a printed copy of her nursing license in the console. We will also take photos at every border to document our route and thus avoid quarantine. I will also print the proposed route and keep a log as suggested.
Hensley Arrow

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have replied. We are pulling out in the morning. I did buy a generator, it is in the bed of my truck - hidden under bed cover until needed. Our daughter and her family live just northeast of Jennings, FL, right inside Georgia. Their farm actually borders the state line. We will shelter in place at their house, as we have been doing here in TX for a week already. No COVID tests, as we have all been compliant.

Her Dad is in a facility in Lake City, FL. If we have to take the camper there to be close, we will (if we can). Otherwise, it will be day treks as the end nears.

I sincerely appreciate prayers as we travel. This will be a long, slow trip. I have a herniated discL3-L4 - and will have to baby that injury, because I postponed surgery to get her to Daddy.
Hensley Arrow

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
All Arkansas state parks are now closed as of 4-1-20

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Park Campground and Eagles Roost are the ones I would try.