cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FDR State Park campground in Georgia

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We will be at FDR state park campground in Pine Mountain, Ga Tuesday,the 19th through Sunday the 24th.Are there aligators in the lake? If not,do they allow dogs to swim in the lake?
8 REPLIES 8

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mayor30 wrote:
We will be at FDR state park campground in Pine Mountain, Ga Tuesday,the 19th through Sunday the 24th.Are there aligators in the lake? If not,do they allow dogs to swim in the lake?

Alligators have been found everywhere in the South. Better safe than sorry so call the park itself and ask. They will tell you if it's safe.

F.D. Roosevelt State Park 706-663-4858
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live about 30 minutes north of FDR, and we do day trips hiking down there, but for some reason don't camp there. It is on a small mountain.
I doubt there are any gators in that lake. They are very rare in this area. The park does have a 6ft leash rule, but if you go away from areas with people and let your pup swim, I doubt they will say anything. If the wet dog goes into a bunch of people and shakes, it might not be good.
Honestly a snake encounter is much more likely than a gator.
It is a nice area with some good hiking trails, and a couple of cute little towns. Hope y'all have a good trip and enjoy the area. You are picking a good time, the heat has broken so it should be nice!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Horsedoc wrote:
Pine Mountain is the name. No mountains.

Nope, It's in the mountains.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The link above is to the campground mentioned. It is not flat country. looks very nice.
Puma 30RKSS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks awful hilly to me

The link is to the FDR campground. It's certainly hilly.
Puma 30RKSS

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Isn't this in the Mountains? No Alligators in the mountains.
That's what I was thinking. 1,348 ft altitute.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pine Mountain is the name. No mountains. We had an alligator in a pond below my house years ago. I live in NE Georgia near the SC state line. I think these guys can show up anywhere they get released. Lake Hartwell, Savannah River has had them.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Isn't this in the Mountains? No Alligators in the mountains.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS