cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Mask mandate

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I've read several articles and cant find any out for folks boondocking.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bidens-executive-order-mask-wearing-federal-land

Again city folks think everyone lives in an urban cubicle.
One size fits all I guess.
Hopefully the rangers out there have better sense than the DC insiders.
136 REPLIES 136

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
When one uses "bumper sticker" expressions to rebut others, then it is time to laugh and say "bless his heart".
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Walaby,,

You can talk till your blue in the face and in need of your own ventilator ( hope your not in NY ) but the fact is.... They will always blame 100% of everything on the past administration.. The hatred for 1 person lies so deep that nothing will change that..

You're right, and it's really sad that as a society, we have gotten to this point. Oh well, Im done. Getting ready for the weekend, and going out to enjoy working on my retirement property I just closed on.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Walaby,,

You can talk till your blue in the face and in need of your own ventilator ( hope your not in NY ) but the fact is.... They will always blame 100% of everything on the past administration.. The hatred for 1 person lies so deep that nothing will change that..
Most of us were blaming the CURRENT administration at the time it was unfolding. Nothing was done since, so the fault just remain forever with the past.
Exactly the reason the administration changed by the will of the people.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œRespirators, ventilators, all of the equipment โ€” try getting it yourselves,โ€ President Trump said on a March 16 conference call with the nationโ€™s governors, abdicating federal responsibility and sparking a bidding war among the states for limited hospital supplies.

"Thanks for the call president" said no one

Walaby,,

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rlw999 wrote:
There are always lots of mysteries with a novel new illness, and it will take years to understand COVID and how to best treat it, but "we need ventilators for a serious respiratory illness" wasn't a controversial first reaction.

I agree with you. That's why the Defense Production Act was invoked, and GM and Ford built ventilators, and yes, even NY received additional ventilators in early April, as they were being produced.

What's unfair is saying the Fed GOV didn't provide ventilators when asked, implying he was taking it out against blue states. Or that the Fed gov didn't do anything to address the fact that the need was there. The same week that NY admitted to having a stockpile, the Fed Gov delivered 2000 ventilators, with another 2000 in the pipeline for NY.

Mike

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

He asked for ventilators, but had a bunch in stock. Maybe not enough for worse case at the time, but MY memory was he was "screaming" for them, yet had some in stock. Hmmmm....

At the time, the medical consensus was that ventilators were going to be key to keeping people alive, the time to ask for durable equipment like ventilators is *before* you need them, if they got the expected crush of patients that needed ventilators and they ran out of stock, then it's too late to ask for more. The same for the hospital ship that NYC was sure they needed - the fact that they didn't need those extra beds is a sign of success, not failure.

Even today, doctors are puzzled how COVID patients can have dangerously low pulse-ox levels without even knowing they have COVID and some COVID patients have survived unscathed after experiencing pulse-ox levels that were previously believed to be "incompatible with life".

There are always lots of mysteries with a novel new illness, and it will take years to understand COVID and how to best treat it, but "we need ventilators for a serious respiratory illness" wasn't a controversial first reaction.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ventilator discussion is a loser for Cuomo.

He asked for ventilators, but had a bunch in stock. Maybe not enough for worse case at the time, but MY memory was he was "screaming" for them, yet had some in stock. Hmmmm....BTW - the Fed Gov had already sent 2000 ventilators and was preparing to send an additional 2000 at the time this hoarding was identified. My source is actually a more liberal publication.

yes, we all lived through this last year, and I have no memory loss on how things unfolded. I am totally onboard with everyone made mistakes, in hindsight. No argument there. But, to absolve one group from any criticism while heaping criticism on the other is ill informed at best.

There's certainly room for second guessing and documenting issues so we can learn from the mistakes. But you can't tell me that politics aren't in play when Cuomo (and others) slam the Fed Gov back in summer/fall for not doing what was necessary, and then to say today "oh, the Fed GOV did everything they could. Cmon man, it's so clear to see. Of course, he is engaged in CYA at the moment, so he'll praise the devil if it helped deflect criticism from himself.

Mike

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the fed could have raised their hand when Cuomo was looking for ventilators?
Nothing really offered, the states had to beg for help. Especially the 'blue' states.
Only when something was made public did the feds begrudgingly give help.
We all lived through this last year. Is there no memory on how this actually unfolded?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/trumps-war-on-blue-states-is-worse-than-previously-thought.h...

the early response from the Trump administration was defined by a catastrophic mix of ambivalence and incompetence. โ€œRespirators, ventilators, all of the equipment โ€” try getting it yourselves,โ€ President Trump said on a March 16 conference call with the nationโ€™s governors, abdicating federal responsibility and sparking a bidding war among the states for limited hospital supplies.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
So why was NY adapting the ventilators to serve two people if the feds had a stockpile?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-ventilators/one-ventilator-two-patients-ne...

By Wednesday, he wrote, there were โ€œtwo patients being carefully managed on one ventilator.โ€

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who says his staff is struggling to find enough machines on the market, has touted the adaptation as a potential life-saver. โ€œItโ€™s not ideal,โ€ he told reporters, โ€œbut we believe itโ€™s workable.โ€

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration, which regulates medical device manufacturers, gave emergency authorization on Tuesday allowing ventilators to be modified using a splitter tube to serve multiple COVID-19 patients, though manufacturers still must share safety information with regulators.

So, that article was published BEFORE Cuomo admitted that there were ventilators in storage "just in case". So, who's really at fault? The Feds did not have the stock pile, the STATE did.

Fact Check - Does New York have a stock pile of ventilators

Mike

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
So why was NY adapting the ventilators to serve two people if the feds had a stockpile?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-ventilators/one-ventilator-two-patients-ne...

By Wednesday, he wrote, there were โ€œtwo patients being carefully managed on one ventilator.โ€

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who says his staff is struggling to find enough machines on the market, has touted the adaptation as a potential life-saver. โ€œItโ€™s not ideal,โ€ he told reporters, โ€œbut we believe itโ€™s workable.โ€

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration, which regulates medical device manufacturers, gave emergency authorization on Tuesday allowing ventilators to be modified using a splitter tube to serve multiple COVID-19 patients, though manufacturers still must share safety information with regulators.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
So when the post office was ready to send every American a mask last March but was cancelled from the top... they did all they could for prevention or increasing the spread?
Some people's hero, Dr Fauci said in March, no need to wear masks. They won't work.

When NY needed ventilators and the Feds held back, was that doing everything?
Early April - reported in several news sources
On Friday, President Donald Trump tweeted, โ€œThousand of Federal Government (delivered) Ventilators found in New York storage. N.Y. must distribute NOW!โ€
Gov. Andrew Cuomo responded to the claim that day, saying, โ€œYes, theyโ€™re in a stockpile because thatโ€™s where the supposed to be because we donโ€™t need them yet. We need them for the apex.โ€

When feds would not help states get masks and then criticize when governors bought direct from asia... some with no bid rush contracts. That was all they could do?
States and Fed gov bidding against each other to procure masks, yeah, that's all the feds fault.

Maybe the top could have encouraged the use of a mask even if his was not needed in the executive bubble? How hard could that be?
Didn't say he was perfect.
Leadership was weak at best.'
Lets see, he also sent the hospital ship to NY that Cuomo didn't use (or didn't use initially). He also used the DPA to manufacture ventilators and industry cranked out more than we needed, which is great. Vaccine created in less than a year. Even the liberals say that was a modern day miraculous achievement. Did his leadership and engagement help make that happen? Absolutely. If you think it didn't, then you're naive at best.

With maybe 5% immunized I am not sure that has had a big effect yet. Although I do believe it gives many hope that there will be an end. Hope that gives strength to wear the stupid mask one more day. The vaccine was not really developed by the federal government. I believe the first approval took NO government money. So it was inevitable regardless of leadership. Did it happen, yes. Do I give much credit to the fed leadership, no.
I will go out on a limb and make the sad observation that nothing anyone says will ever change your viewpoint. Newsome and the rest of the people on that side of the aisle are fantastic and to quote you earlier, at least Newsome is trying. Give me a friggin break.

No convincing you of anything, Im sure.

Mike

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
So when the post office was ready to send every American a mask last March but was cancelled from the top... they did all they could for prevention or increasing the spread?

When NY needed ventilators and the Feds held back, was that doing everything?

When feds would not help states get masks and then criticize when governors bought direct from asia... some with no bid rush contracts. That was all they could do?

Maybe the top could have encouraged the use of a mask even if his was not needed in the executive bubble? How hard could that be?

Leadership was weak at best.

With maybe 5% immunized I am not sure that has had a big effect yet. Although I do believe it gives many hope that there will be an end. Hope that gives strength to wear the stupid mask one more day. The vaccine was not really developed by the federal government. I believe the first approval took NO government money. So it was inevitable regardless of leadership. Did it happen, yes. Do I give much credit to the fed leadership, no.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think what is telling is not just the numbers changing, it's also the tone and rhetoric. Just two mins ago, I saw GOV Cuomo say, live, "I believe the Federal Government did everything they could". Did he say that three months ago? No. Now, after the election, all of a sudden, the Fed gov did everything they could? I believe the Fed gov did do everything they could, but where was the credit or support pre-election? Does hindsight indicate things that could have been done differently? Sure.. it always does. But if you want to give Newsome credit for trying, you have to give the Fed gov and the Trump admin credit for what they did and tried to do. If you are going to criticize the Trump admin for not setting examples, then you have to call out and criticize Newsome and other leaders equally.

If, after inauguration, new cases are dropping, and you want to attribute it to lock downs, and people taking it more serious, then how about giving credit for the immunization progress made under the Trump admin as a contributor as well.

Mike