cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First-come first-served campsites: how to keep my spot?

pipsi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we are visiting Grand Teton NP in early June and I had a question about the first-come first-served RV campgrounds within the park. If we manage to get a spot by waiting early in the morning, will we keep our spot even if we want to head out in our RV to check out other areas of the park during the day? Or will the rangers assume leaving the park means giving up your spot and assign it to someone else? I am not familiar with how it works.
Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
The first come first served campgrounds in the Tetons are the Colter Bay Campground and Gros Ventre campground. Both are very big and when I worked in the park a few years ago they hardly ever filled. There is also the Colter Bay RV park which is usually sold out months in advance. If you know your exact dates, call the RV park you never can tell when someone might cancel. We were in the Gros Ventre campground last year and they have a few electric only sights. It is closer to the south end of the Park and closer to Jackson. Not too much to do at Gros Ventre but at Colter Bay there are two restaurants, a grocery, laundromat and showers, and a marina where you can rent canoes or kayaks or book a spot on a cruise. Horseback rides are also available. Colter Bay also has a Park Service Visitor's Center.
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Orange Cone with site occupied in black magic marker and my name.
pawatt

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes ~not taken ~~ destroyed and dumped. And you camp in Ca. Yosemite ~ Kings Cyn ~ Sequoia.

pipsi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, that is reassuring. Didn't want to come over all suspicious, it's our first time reserving campsites in a NP so I didn't know how it worked exactly.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddog348 wrote:
toedtoes ~ HAHAHAHAHA ~ Even had our ice chest taken out of 'bear box' now have lock system for that too.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

Theft of stuff is different than usurping a site. Ice chests are a popular theft item - I've known several people who have had that happen. But I don't KNOW anyone who had their campsite taken, and only saw it happen once in a campground where I was staying.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Most campgrounds I visit (mostly federal) provide a tag to clip on the campsite post. That indicates the days you have the site reserved. Out here, I have not seen a problem with campsite usurping - people tend to.respect those tags.

Only problem with that is that some CG's have a policy that if the site is not taken by a certain time on the 2nd day of the reservation then the site become available. Leaving something in the site would help deter someone.

Sure. I've seen chairs, etc., left in the site, but in my experience, if there is a reserve sign, people don't take the site. In all my trips, I've only seen one campsite "usurped".

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Most campgrounds I visit (mostly federal) provide a tag to clip on the campsite post. That indicates the days you have the site reserved. Out here, I have not seen a problem with campsite usurping - people tend to.respect those tags.

Only problem with that is that some CG's have a policy that if the site is not taken by a certain time on the 2nd day of the reservation then the site become available. Leaving something in the site would help deter someone.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes ~ HAHAHAHAHA ~ Even had our ice chest taken out of 'bear box' now have lock system for that too.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Would depend on the site. If it's a paid site just first come first serve the ranger\host should keep people off of evict people from your site if they move in while you're out.

If it's just dispersed camping where your gear basically holds the site I would buy a $20 tent at Walmart or thrift store and set it up on the site.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
a chair placed in the middle of the site with a polite note saying you have gone to the store and will be back shortly.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Did campsite squatters recently become en vogue or something? I can't say I've ever had or seen the issue, nor worried about the possibility.

First come first serve is no different than reserved as I see it or anything else. If you paid for the site for a week, leave and return during the day and some idiot is on it, tell them to move. If they refuse then call the ranger, host, or management and they'll make them move. I've yet to see a Fed or State campground where there was not some method used to mark a site as occupied or reserved, such as a tag on a post.

No it happens. Most will honor chairs, and tables left on the site. But there are those that will push those to the side. It really is a problem in some places.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Did campsite squatters recently become en vogue or something? I can't say I've ever had or seen the issue, nor worried about the possibility.

First come first serve is no different than reserved as I see it or anything else. If you paid for the site for a week, leave and return during the day and some idiot is on it, tell them to move. If they refuse then call the ranger, host, or management and they'll make them move. I've yet to see a Fed or State campground where there was not some method used to mark a site as occupied or reserved, such as a tag on a post.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Leave for the day
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman