cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida gulf coast Campgrounds

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a two month trip to Florida next February and March. We are planning to stay at Top Sail state park the last two weeks of March.
Any recommendations for the first six weeks. We would like to be close to the gulf. We don't mind staying at a couple of different places.

Thanks
2016 22' Rockwood 2104s Mini-Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
17 REPLIES 17

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
For staying and checking out the Nature Coast of Florida I'd suggest Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park in Crystal River. It's about 80 miles north of Tampa. It's highly rated and more like a state park than some state parks. We've stayed here for the winters for several years. Make a reservation early for the time period you're looking for, they get busy.

The area is not beachy, but has more of a river life atmosphere. Bring or rent kayaks if you like that sort of exploring. Check out the manatees too.

Below is a clicky for the park.

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/south/florida/rock-crusher-canyon/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
wxtoad wrote:
Here are some pictures and notes of various FL Panhandle parks we have visited:

Big Lagoon SP
Fort Pickens - Gulf Islands NS
Grayton Beach SP
Newport County Park
Ochlockonee River SP
Pine Log State Forest - Sand Pond
Shell Mound County Park
St Joseph Peninsula SP
St Andrews SP
Falling Waters SP
Lake Stone County Park
Torreya SP

A little west of FL:

Davis Bayou - Gulf Islands NS
Buccaneer SP

Ted H.

Great campground reviews, maybe the best I have seen, very helpful.
Thank you.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might want to narrow down your preferred areas to stay and let us know. The Gulf Coast of Florida is over 700 miles long so there are many options. As others said, you need to book quickly. Many good places will already be booked.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Just made my reservations this morning for last 2 weeks of March at Henderson Beach SP, started at 8 sold out by 8:15. Hopefully for you, you already have reservations for Top Sail or itโ€™s not 11 months out yet. If not, better change your dates t o later than March 15th 2019.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
My suggestion is to start calling and looking for spots now. Most places are likely already booked for February. At this point you will be looking for any open spot, rather than the perfect campground...

X2, it may already be too late. Getting into any place along the panhandle is going to be "difficult".

Dan

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss HoHum in Carrabelle.

Sunrise

Moonrise
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

atomlinson
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Gulf in Destin (Miramar Beach). Expensive, and crammed in like sardines, but you can't beat the location. With spots that are right on the beach and an extremely friendly staff, it's something you have to try once.
Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.0

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My suggestion is to start calling and looking for spots now. Most places are likely already booked for February. At this point you will be looking for any open spot, rather than the perfect campground...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Travel just a few miles inland from TopSail to Blackwater River State Park or to one of the campgrounds in the Blackwater State Forest. Not on the beach, but on a beautiful river with miles of white sandbars. Near Carrabelle you can visit Ochlockonee River State Park, camp beside the river and walk along the shore. This area is called The Forgotten Coast. Give it a Google. lizzie

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carrabelle is a good suggestion. We stayed there 2 weeks this winter and really enjoyed it except a strong cold front made it unusually cold while we were there. Great beach access across the road from the park. Beach also allows dogs and miles of beach to walk. St. George island is very close and lots of good places to eat the Red Pirate, Lynn's Oyster bar and a very good Mexican food restaurant in East Point. Only negative is make sure everything is clear on day and time of checkout is clear. There was a one day misunderstanding on our checkout and we had to change sites with one day to go.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are going to move around, we just got back from the Davis Bayou campground, it's part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. We spent 5 weeks from Texas to Mississippi and this was one of our favorite spots. It has water & electric, but no sewer, and the bathrooms have showers. They are always full so you'll need reservations. If you have the national park senior pass it's only $11/night. We had site #2 which was very large, one of the best in the park. Wait... I shouldn't be telling you this- we want it available for when we go back! I wish we stayed more than a week there.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
If you happen to be retired military, there is Tyndall Fam Camp near Panama City Beach.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Gulf shores it is a nice park. It might be one of our stops. We were also thinking of Carrabelle RV park.
2016 22' Rockwood 2104s Mini-Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500