cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great Basin NP RV Camping

Regusfamilyfun
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading to Great Basin NP in late June and I was wondering if there is anyone that can suggest a good spot to camp?
11 REPLIES 11

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another blog post on GBNP, with some hiking ideas
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Regusfamilyfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. We are heading there in late June and we love hiking.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you have a very small rig, don't go up to Wheeler Peak campground at the top of the mountain -- very tight roads and sites. But nice cool weather up there!

In addition to Upper and Lower Lehman campgrounds, there is a BLM site not too far away, at Sacramento Pass.

There are also a couple of adequate RV parks in Baker, right nearby.

How many days are you planning to spend at GBNP? Do you hike? Make sure to allow enough time to adapt to the elevation -- some of the best trailheads are at ten thousand feet and they go up from there!

Fall at GBNP is surprisingly beautiful -- this is not like the low desert. It's aspens and junipers and pinyons.

Speaking of pinyons (pardon the absence of the little wavy tilde over the N), they are ripe in late Sept and early Oct. Bring disposable rubber gloves (the cones are sticky). Talk to the rangers at Lehman Cave about the best places to hunt for pine nuts.

We picked about a pound of them and brought them home and roasted them . Delicious!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't say it too loud. Shhh.

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
There are seven designated campgrounds in the park. One, however, Strawberry Creek, is closed UFN due to fire recovery efforts.

Not mentioned by others is Lower Lehman Creek CG with 11 sites that can handle RV's

If you're a tenter, there are some other options:

Grey Cliffs CG has 10 tent-only sites for $15. It is located just south of park HQ on the road to Baker Creek CG.

Further south in the park is Snake Creek CG with 12 free tent sites. There are also other dispersed sites along Forest Service Road 448 which parallels Snake Creek
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wheeler peak at the top is a very nice spot. You are rig size limited on the road tho, I don't remember if its 23 ft or 25. It's short, and the campsites are as well, many off camber. Lehman was better for larger rigs, hotter tho and not nearly as scenic. Nothing for you to do except short hikes and relax. No cell phone. No hook ups. Great for a couple, few days.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have been there several times - Great place few people, good cave tour, road art on the way in, and good hiking. unless things have changed, there were three campgrounds, a big one down below and two upper, after a steep climb. only a few pull ins.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we were there several years ago and I recall two campgrounds in the park...one before you get to the top of the mountain, and one on top of the mountain.
down below, south of the park gate is a little settlement with water and dump station and shade trees...not fancy...
and east of the park, on highway 50, there is an rv park at the state line, which is not too far from the park. it has hookups, etc.

one caveat! if you camp in the park, be sure to check yourself and your pets for ticks.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Great Basin is on our bucket list also and plan to head there next fall. There are three campgrounds that are listed, Upper Lehman Creek, Wheeler Peak and Baker Creek. (We need accessible sites so I have them listed) I think Wheeler is closed in winter but the other two are open all year, but don't quote me. Happy travels, and please let me know how you enjoyed it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GB video by user profdant. This might be of interest.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless things have changed since we were there several years ago, there is only one CG and that is the one inside the park. There is nothing close to the park otherwise. I'd guess you should not have a problem reserving a spot since this is a very low visitation park out in the middle of nowhere. The only town of any size would be Ely NV and that is a fair way off.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper