cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gros Ventre Information

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be staying at GV for 1 night (29 May - a Monday) before arriving at the Coulter Bay RV Park. What is the likelihood we'll be able to get a site with electricity in GV? My wife and grandson love staying close to rivers. I'm considering cancelling Coulter Bay (sked 30 May - 3 June) if we get a site with electricity.

A shout out to The Longhorn Ranch in Dubois, WY. Fantastic place with 6 sites right next to (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO) the Wind River. I could fish from the RV if I wanted to.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.
11 REPLIES 11

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
WE also stayed at Longhorn Ranch Motel and RV Park.

That's a LONG way from Grand Teton Nat'l Park. How often did you make the drive?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at GV last august for 10 days and loved it!!! We didn't need electric so we didn't get a site with one, but they were available. We arrived on a Sunday morning around 8am and didn't have a problem find a non electric site for our 36 ft. 5th wheel. We drove thru Colter Bay one day and way too many people!!! Very busy place! Enjoy your trip! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, we have reservations for the RV park but if GV turns out to be nice, we'll just stay there. We're going from GV to Fishing Bridge so I'm not worried about water/sewer.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
jalichty wrote:
Acampingwewillgo, Colter Bay campground has some electric-only sites that are primarily reserved for folks with disabilities, but we were able to get one a few years ago when we had family visiting us there and last summer a friend with a motor home was able to get a site even though no disability. I think there are about 10 of these sites in the loop and I'll bet you'll be able to get one in August.

I had heard that before and we stayed in Colter Bay before. This trip we actually have reservations for the Hook up side( the RV Park) but I wouldn't mind extending our stay at Gros Ventre after....we'll see how it goes.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo, Colter Bay campground has some electric-only sites that are primarily reserved for folks with disabilities, but we were able to get one a few years ago when we had family visiting us there and last summer a friend with a motor home was able to get a site even though no disability. I think there are about 10 of these sites in the loop and I'll bet you'll be able to get one in August.
John A. Lichty

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No reason for Gros Ventre to be different from any other CG on a major holiday. If the next day is a regular workday the holiday is empty out CG day.

We were in Gros Ventre for a July 4th holiday. July 5th was a regular workday. There was a mass exodus on July 4th.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I had forgotten it was Memorial Day. We're arriving in the afternoon, after the weekenders should be gone. Hopefully the early season arrival works for us.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The few times we've been to Gros Ventre, I've never even thought to ask about an electric site although I'd love to snag one. I'll be at Colter Bay in late August, I'm wondering how likely an electric site might be available the first week of Sept. I imagine after the holiday, I may have a better chance.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
WE also stayed at Longhorn Ranch Motel and RV Park. If all commercial parks were like this we would stay in them much more. Great natural setting,plenty of room between sites plus excellent bathrooms and store.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Gros Ventre a number of times at the beginning of June over the years. The campground has been maybe 10% to 20% full that early. If I remember correctly there are 36 sites in loop D with electric hookups. May 29th this year is Memorial Day so folks that came for the holiday will likely be leaving when you arrive. Kids are still in school so families with kids likely won't be there. Can't guarantee, but IMO you have a very good chance of getting an electric site.

I see that you have 400 watts of solar. Loop A has many sites in full sun, so perhaps you won't need an electric site. The sites on the east side of loop A are a very short walk to the river, which will be running high at that time due to snow melt.

On edit: Here is a link to the Park's info on Gros Ventre. Be advised that the header picture was not taken at Gros Ventre, as the trees there are nearly all Cottonwoods.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked @ there web site and there are 30 amp service some where as well as flush toilets. Go to this site and take a look around. Due to it being a NPS campground arriving early and taking a chance they are not all full (elec. sites) Could fill up on weekends but may have a chance in the middle of the week. Good luck. Gros Ventre Campground -- NPS Campground
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.