cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hanging Lake Colorado reservations

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure a few of you here have had the pleasure of hiking to Hanging Lake, right off I-70 about nine miles east of Glenwood Springs. As of May 1st, they have initiated a reservation system for the hike, due to the extreme overuse of the area.

No longer will you be able to park at the trailhead. Instead, there will be a shuttle system that will pick you up in town and drop you at the trailhead, then return you to your car three hours later. Cost is $12 per person. Even if you ride a bike up to the trailhead, you still need a reservation to hike the trail.

Info here: Hanging Lake reservations

I'm sure it will greatly reduce the impact of overuse, but unfortunately, if one isn't aware of the system, visiting Hanging Lake might be tough.

BTW, it is one of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see. It is a fairly strenuous hike, gaining 1000' in 1.2 miles, so make sure you have appropriate footwear and water with you. Do take the short side trail up to Spouting Rock.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
3 REPLIES 3

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
I'm sure a few of you here have had the pleasure of hiking to Hanging Lake, right off I-70 about nine miles east of Glenwood Springs. As of May 1st, they have initiated a reservation system for the hike, due to the extreme overuse of the area.

No longer will you be able to park at the trailhead. Instead, there will be a shuttle system that will pick you up in town and drop you at the trailhead, then return you to your car three hours later. Cost is $12 per person. Even if you ride a bike up to the trailhead, you still need a reservation to hike the trail.

I'm sure it will greatly reduce the impact of overuse, but unfortunately, if one isn't aware of the system, visiting Hanging Lake might be tough.

BTW, it is one of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see. It is a fairly strenuous hike, gaining 1000' in 1.2 miles, so make sure you have appropriate footwear and water with you. Do take the short side trail up to Spouting Rock.

...AND...according to T H I S R E P O R T - 9News Denver there have already been over 6000 reservations made to date (more than 6180 in fact), meaning that certain dates will likely be impossible to get a reservation.

Hope the reservation system helps. It was impossible to find a parking place at 8:30AM during a mid week visit a few years ago. More photos of the lake & trail here.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:

...AND...according to T H I S R E P O R T - 9News Denver there have already been over 6000 reservations made to date (more than 6180 in fact), meaning that certain dates will likely be impossible to get a reservation.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Who got himself hung at Hanging Lake, anyway? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point