cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
34 REPLIES 34

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I located and pinned exactly where the monolith used to be on both of my laptop's digital maps - Google Earth and Microsoft Maps. I could probably even pinpoint it on my Garmin navigator unit.

Some of the typical Utah desert dirt/dusty roads come fairly close to it's location. Maybe the last few hundred yards (miles?) would require a 4X4 pickup to haul it into where it was - in what looks like maybe a wide wash with rock formations ringing it. I couldn't be sure using the maximum non-blurred resolution available for both maps.

"Probably in dry weather" our small 2WD MH could get within non-lethal hiking distance of the monolith's location to explore and camp way out there. Some years ago we actually drove our rig to Dubinky Well several miles north of the area. 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find generally a ranger's description of any off pavement adventure has always a bit exaggerated in difficulty.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of dudes from Flagstaff treked out to see it....but it was GONE!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
vermilye wrote:
For those calculating the weight/value/portability - the monolith was made of riveted sheet metal. Description

That's more like it ... solid any-metal would have been way too much weight to deal with!!

Since they think it was placed there in the 2nd half of 2016, I wonder why it's taken so long to be discovered -> ... it may be because it was in a very remote place, and ... it must have taken a 4X4 truck to get it there in that remote place.

A remote location combined with a truck being able to get there may mean that area is a pretty good place to boondock camp near. I wonder if our small motorhome with it's stock pickup truck type ground clearance could make it there in dry weather? :h and 😉

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For those calculating the weight/value/portability - the monolith was made of riveted sheet metal. Description

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
momentum rv wrote:
...and now it's gone! ??

Hmmmm ... if indeed it was stainless steel ... I wish they would publish a video on how they removed it!!! :h

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much for that point of interest on my next desert expedition 😞

Where will the next one show up?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Gone. It's now on Jupiter. (Probably one of Jupiter's moons? That is one of the mysteries surrounding that movie -- they went to Jupiter to re-find the monolith, but Jupiter has a gaseous atmosphere -- no place to land the spacecraft. So was it on a moon??)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
...and now it's gone! ??
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
There was a news story on tv about it recently that said it was made of stainless steel.

Stainless steel = heavvvvyyyy!!! (Not to mention, still VERY EXPENSIVE.)

Here's a clip from my earlier post in this thread:

"Could a 1-ton dually 4X4 PU even carry 486 pounds and 12 onces - plus the crane - plus the backhoe - out there (unnoticed) so as to deal with setting that thing up vertically stable?"

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a news story on tv about it recently that said it was made of stainless steel.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
A boondocking power pedestal.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming the above ground is 16" x 16" x 144" gives 36,864 cu-in

Each cu-in is 11.31 troy oz. so close to 417,000 oz.

Troy oz is about $950 so closer to $400 million

That is just the portion above ground....