cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone stopped for the night at Avon CO

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a sort stop over along I70 thru Vail. There is a Walmart in Avon and I'm wondering if anyone has stayed there. Since Avon is kind of up scale I am wondering in Walmart management might not allow RVs to stop and stay.
7 REPLIES 7

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
The Walmart back in Frisco might be an option too.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dottie5 wrote:
Thank you 4runnerguy!! That gives me several places to look. We want to go up for Vail Snow days but only for one or two nights. My teen boys want to see the band Modest Mouse who is playing up there for free. Just the cost of lodging - but lodging, of course, can be very expensive during ski season. So if the weather would hold out, we could take our travel trailer up (live just southeast of Denver) Then if the weather gets bad, we don't have the risk of late cancellations etc.

I hope it works out - the boys really want to see the band and free is awesome!!
Obviously the Gore Creek CG is closed by then. They also gate the BLM sites. Just drove by Gypsum today and they haven't yet, but when the snow flies they do.

One thing you're going to have to figure out is what to do with the trailer when you're at the concert. Not really anyplace in Vail to park it while you're at the concert. So I guess you'd go up earlier in the day and drop it somewhere? At least by the time the concerts get going, parking in the Village Parking structure is free (after 3:00 p.m.) Not too much of a walk from there.

Another option is River Dance RV Park just west of Gypsum. It is open all year. They have a cancellation policy where you'd lose a night if you don't go, but they're not full this time of year anyway, so just call the night before you want to go and make reservations only when you're sure about the weather. I think they're minimum is $45, but having electricity to plug into is nice. We take a couple of electric heaters to keep warm rather than burning our propane.

Taking your skis/snowboards too?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2015, we overnighted at that Walmart in Avon in early October. We called ahead and got permission.

No idea if it's changed. Why not give them a call quick and ask?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! I was doubtful with the Avon Walmart but thanks for kind of confirming that.

Thank you 4runnerguy!! That gives me several places to look. We want to go up for Vail Snow days but only for one or two nights. My teen boys want to see the band Modest Mouse who is playing up there for free. Just the cost of lodging - but lodging, of course, can be very expensive during ski season. So if the weather would hold out, we could take our travel trailer up (live just southeast of Denver) Then if the weather gets bad, we don't have the risk of late cancellations etc.

I hope it works out - the boys really want to see the band and free is awesome!!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the manager might let you stay, but I wouldn't count on it. Signs all over the parking lot and I've not seen anyone camped there when I've stopped in.

A few other options:

Gore Creek CG is at the east end of Vail up a canyon right off I-70. NFS CG that takes reservations so you know you'll have a place if you arrive late.

Just past Wolcott is a BLM campground called, of all things, Wolcott. I think it's $10 per night. Gets real busy on summer weekends as rafters use it as a base camp to float the Eagle. But might have availability mid-week. No reservations, pit toilets. Right on the river, so a nice setting. Exit at Wolcott (157), north 1/4 mile to the frontage road, left (west) about two miles. CG on right.

Another BLM CG is just past Gypsum, also with the clever name of Gypsym. Near the river but not as close as Wolcott. Pit Toilets, no reservations. Exit at Gypsum (140), south to the round-about, first right onto the frontage road, then 1 1/2 miles to the CG on left.

There's a Walmart Supercenter in Rifle, about 1 1/2 hours west of Vail. You might have better luck with overnighting there. I just can't remember if there are signs there.

FYI: the rest areas at Edwards and at Rifle have free dump stations (in season). They're closed for now until spring. The Rifle rest area might be a better choice than Edwards for a place to park for a little while. Drive around the loop where the bathrooms are then on your way back out there's a area where trucks often pull off and there are picnic tables there. While at the Edwards rest area you'd be parking side by side with the trucks, at Eagle it would be front to back.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
CDOT rest area just west at Edwards. While technically there is no overnight parking I have never been run out for getting a few hours sleep. For heaven's sake, that is what they are for.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
According to RVParky, although there are signs posted in the parking lot saying no overnight RV parking, if you ask the manager, they will let you park for one night. One night only.
2010 Suncruiser