cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hells Canyon Scenic Byway - NF-39

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
After a weekend in late June, at Wallowa Lake area, looking to head down the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway via Nat Forest Rd 39. Would like to find a nice dispersed site for a few days that a 34ft trailer can fit into!! I am familiar with the Wallowa-Whitman NF campgrounds down the road, and will pick one if there is not much "boondocking" to look into!

We have been able to work ourselves in and out of some tight areas in the past, but always looking to prevent a "disaster" if possible!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
8 REPLIES 8

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
The bikes we ride aren't OHV there all street legal, all 7HP.:B
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
" Thanks for the links, the pond looks like it might work for our group, we park and ride are Honda CT Trails to explore, were all self contained so no problem there. Just wondering about bugs with that standing water. Also some of the people have pretty big rigs, is the road ok for 34'MH pulling 20'+ cargo trailer?"

The video Goducks10 posted above will give you a pretty good idea. The road has many narrow spots with lots of sharp corners. I'd bet you'd have to cross the center line on some of the corners to make a few of them. The good news is there's very little traffic. I'd call or email the forest service office and ask them. The snow park on the north end of the road appears to look like a good place for ORV riding.

I'd venture there'll be mosquitoes. I didn't notice them during the day and the places we camped weren't bad, but it's prime mosquito country.

You might be interested in the area around Sumpter for ORV riding also. I noticed a lot of trails designed for ORV use when we were passing through the area. Blue Mountain/South fork OHV trails

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I've seen that video, looks like fun on a bike...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I rode my Goldwing on it about 6 years ago. If I remember it go a little narrow in spots. Great ride though. BTW I'm not in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpXYCx0MaJ0

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
mtnbbud wrote:
I've ridden my bicycle the whole length of NF-39. There's some narrow sections and sharp corners, but the route is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea if it'd be tough to pull a 34 ft trailer on that road. There are quite a few sharp corners along the way.

I recognized many opportuntities for dispersed camping along the way. Two that come to mind are the snow park on the north end the road just after you get to the top heading south from Joseph and the other is at a small pond off of the paved Hells Canyon Overlook turnoff on the South end of 39 at the crest.

I believe the high point of NF-39 is just a tad over 7000 ft. so there might still be snow in June depending on what happens this winter.
Thanks for the links, the pond looks like it might work for our group, we park and ride are Honda CT Trails to explore, were all self contained so no problem there. Just wondering about bugs with that standing water. Also some of the people have pretty big rigs, is the road ok for 34'MH pulling 20'+ cargo trailer?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've ridden my bicycle the whole length of NF-39. There's some narrow sections and sharp corners, but the route is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea if it'd be tough to pull a 34 ft trailer on that road. There are quite a few sharp corners along the way.

I recognized many opportuntities for dispersed camping along the way. Two that come to mind are the snow park on the north end the road just after you get to the top heading south from Joseph and the other is at a small pond off of the paved Hells Canyon Overlook turnoff on the South end of 39 at the crest.

I believe the high point of NF-39 is just a tad over 7000 ft. so there might still be snow in June depending on what happens this winter.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a group trip to that area in July, going to camp high to avoid the heat on the river. Looking for area for MH and campers to boondock so will be watching this thread. So far just the FS spots. Like to be around the upper Imnaha River road.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of any camping on 39...but if you take the Brownlee-Oxbow hwy in toward Idaho you will see Carter's Landing. It's got a restroom....$6.00 a night. Further east, about 1/2 mile is a free area....both right on the Snake River. Shhhh don't tell anyone....it's our yearly destination and we don't want it crowded. Now...be aware, 39 has been known to be snow bound in June...yes, in late June. OR it can be very hot there. Last June we had to go to Baker City to buy another generator...it got to 108 degrees. ๐Ÿ™‚ We love that country.....enjoy!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend