cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highlands Hammock - A Florida State Park

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Having just purchased a Class "A" and misses being a teacher... We needed someplace fairly local to go... (within a hundred miles for our first outing...) So, Highlands Hammock, in Seabring, Florida was a logical choice...

To coin a phrase... Love it!!!

Today is our last of four days here, we hade a great campsite on the perimiter looking out over the hammock. And, I my have even gotten into a little better shape with all the trails and paths we took...

The online reservation system was perfect too... found a site, saw a picture and map of the site and click... reserved and paid for the site in about ten minutes...

It's a great place to camp...

Oh, and the full moon is incredible...!

Check it out...

Bob
"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis and Clark expedition."
~ Dave Barry

2000 Coachmen CATALINA MILLENNIUM EDITION, Class A - Gas
15 REPLIES 15

passport2590bh
Explorer
Explorer
Spent labor day weekend Highlands Hammock. Sad to announce that restaurant is once again closed. They are definately hurting for volunteers, even the CCC museum was closed. Beautiful park though.
2006 5.7L Ram 1500 Hemi Mega Cab
2011 Keystone Passport 2590bh GT

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
QUOTE: x2! If you're staying at Stephen Foster, that's an extremely nice park. Ga State parks have nothing on the Florida ones, I bet you like Skidaway Island too. The only Fl parks that I haven't been impressed with were the ones down south, but there really isn't anything nice down south.

I am typing this from White Springs now.. My complaint with Florida SP are they dont do maintenance to keep everything in order.

No, I despise the coastal marsh parks in either state, I am not a friend of the local Gnat population.

We are at a park somewhere 2 weeks out of every month so we know what we are talking about.

Gold Head hasn't had a site upgrade since the 80's.

Rainbow Springs spent 100"s of thousand of dollars to upgrade the bath houses, new sewer lines, electric upgrade, new roads, underground sprinkler system and lush landscaping. You have to walk through knee deep grass to get to the sewer hookup at most sites mid summer. And they have let all the landscaping die..

Fort Clinchs beach campground roads still take days to dry after a rain..

Maintenance is needed at all parks and it seems Georgia does more with less.

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :-).
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Laman wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
We camp at many Florida State Parks, at Stephen Foster White Springs now, but they have a long way to go to match the beauty and charm of our neighboring Georgia State Parks. Georgia seems to put more money back into their parks while it hard to get a level spot at most or our Florida parks....
Georgia at least cuts the grass and weeds.. We are kind of disgusted with the way our Florida State Parks have been run the last several years.

I don't know what Florida parks you are staying at but I will definitly disagree with your broad brush indictment of Florida parks. I have stayed at 5 different parks in the last year and have not once been dissatisfied with the condition of the park from the foliage to level sites to the restrooms to the workers. In contrast I have been in 4 Ga. parks in the last year that were ok but nothing special. One park we had to move twice to find a level spot and another had so many broken branches on the roads and sites we had to stop and clear them out and another with rude employees who could have not cared whether we were there are not.

x2! If you're staying at Stephen Foster, that's an extremely nice park. Ga State parks have nothing on the Florida ones, I bet you like Skidaway Island too. The only Fl parks that I haven't been impressed with were the ones down south, but there really isn't anything nice down south.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
We camp at many Florida State Parks, at Stephen Foster White Springs now, but they have a long way to go to match the beauty and charm of our neighboring Georgia State Parks. Georgia seems to put more money back into their parks while it hard to get a level spot at most or our Florida parks....
Georgia at least cuts the grass and weeds.. We are kind of disgusted with the way our Florida State Parks have been run the last several years.

I don't know what Florida parks you are staying at but I will definitly disagree with your broad brush indictment of Florida parks. I have stayed at 5 different parks in the last year and have not once been dissatisfied with the condition of the park from the foliage to level sites to the restrooms to the workers. In contrast I have been in 4 Ga. parks in the last year that were ok but nothing special. One park we had to move twice to find a level spot and another had so many broken branches on the roads and sites we had to stop and clear them out and another with rude employees who could have not cared whether we were there are not.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

JimmyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a nice weekend at Highlands Hammock. Yes, restaurant is open, $9.99 all you can eat fish fry on Friday nights, $12.99 all you can eat BBQ (chicken, ribs and pulled pork) on Saturday nights. Older but excellent state park. CCC museum was very interesting and worth a visit. 9 nature trails throughout the park, all about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Most go deep into the hammock, incredible wildlife viewing. Here are a few photos of our campsite, our view and one of the nature trails. Highly recommended state park.

2016 Coachmen Prism 24G

chuggs
Explorer
Explorer
helperzack wrote:

Have they reopened the restaurant by chance? [\quote]

It was opened last month, when we were there.

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
helperzack wrote:
We love Highlands Hammock too!

Have they reopened the restaurant by chance? They used to have all you can eat fish fries on Fridays. We really missed that the last time there. Kids loved the bug collection at the ranger station/entrance.
We too love all of the Florida State Parks that we have tried. Also some nice COE camps too.

Maybe we should get together a group of us here on RV.net who camp in Florida. That would be neat.

Look for my RVnet decal in the back window of my MH and say Hi!

Hey, to you all...
This was our maiden voyage with the new (to us) Coachmen... I think I made the right call with Highlands as our first...

The restaurant is open but they didn't say anything about Friday fish fry... as a matter of fact, Fridays, are when they are open until 7PM... (otherwise 5 pm)
"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis and Clark expedition."
~ Dave Barry

2000 Coachmen CATALINA MILLENNIUM EDITION, Class A - Gas

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
I have a three part series on my blog Highland Hammock State Park with lots of pictures for anyone who wants to check it out. Part three has pictures of some of the best sites IMO.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Florida has one of the best state park systems in the nation.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
We love Highlands Hammock too!

Have they reopened the restaurant by chance? They used to have all you can eat fish fries on Fridays. We really missed that the last time there. Kids loved the bug collection at the ranger station/entrance.
We too love all of the Florida State Parks that we have tried. Also some nice COE camps too.

Maybe we should get together a group of us here on RV.net who camp in Florida. That would be neat.

Look for my RVnet decal in the back window of my MH and say Hi!
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

MyakkaTT
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly where you are located but almost all Florida State Parks are nice,think we have camped in your exact site at Highlands before.
Try Alafai, Myakka, Oscar Schere, Lake Manatee all alittel further to the West.
Maybe we'll see you around this summer...
2002 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 32V
Towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler
My Wife: Dawn
Myself: Scott
Our Dog: Our new Fur Kid, Kylee
Our Photos

[purple]"Quietly Making Noise"[/purple]

chuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Sebring is great! I love riding the Hammock loop every morning on my bike...and there is a nice bike shop close to the campground...and since my wife, and I are vegetarian...we like the Taste of India restaurant. We've got a reservation for a couple of nights coming up soon. Can't wait.