cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'd Appreciate Your Advice

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on this site a long time. I've given lots of advice and sometimes some (witty) sarcasm over the years. I've been a part time RV enthusiast with TTs and FWs. When people have asked about Arizona and particularly Tucson, I've tried to help as much as I could.

Now, it's my turn to ask for your advice. I retired in January and purchased a new FW. My DW and I have been planning a long journey around the country. We think we're ready, and we're heading out in two weeks. We'll be on the road for about 3-1/2 to 4 months.

If you live in, or are familiar with the states listed below, what would be your top one or two "must see" locations in your state?

California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico

I really appeciate your input, thanks for taking the time to answer.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
66 REPLIES 66

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
For East Tennessee, Fall Creek Falls SP. And either the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg or George Dickle Distillery near Tullahoma TN.
Since you list Mississippi at least part of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Also two that aren't too far outside your listed states. The Biltmore Estate, Ashville NC and the U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville AL.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
California: Redwoods are a must! There is Redwoods National Park on the coast and Kings Canyon National Park inland. They are both amazing and beautiful in their own ways. Yosemite is a classic to do! So much in California, it's hard to list favorites ๐Ÿ™‚
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be a bumper sticker, "Welcome to California. Now go home." Truer words were never spoken. So avoid the summer when the crowds invade everywhere, especially the beach areas. Skip this summer with the drought. To really see and enjoy the state, take the amount of time you are talking for just California. Take your time. Quick example. About a decade ago, we spent 2 days at Betabel RV near Gilroy. Liked it as an access point to Monterrey, Santa Cruz, etc. Spent 3 weeks there last fall and never ran out of things to do. And not just California. Take,your time everywhere. Our one week stay in coastal Alabama last winter turned into six. Never did really make it to Florida! Maybe next year!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Ohio presidential homes are a nice aside. No big Libraries like now.

You will be impressed with how things grow in Ohio, lots of water loads of green and our southern Ohio forests and Appalachian Culture is a don't miss.

TucsonJim wrote:
I've been on this site a long time. I've given lots of advice and sometimes some (witty) sarcasm over the years. I've been a part time RV enthusiast with TTs and FWs. When people have asked about Arizona and particularly Tucson, I've tried to help as much as I could.

Now, it's my turn to ask for your advice. I retired in January and purchased a new FW. My DW and I have been planning a long journey around the country. We think we're ready, and we're heading out in two weeks. We'll be on the road for about 3-1/2 to 4 months.

If you live in, or are familiar with the states listed below, what would be your top one or two "must see" locations in your state?

California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico

I really appeciate your input, thanks for taking the time to answer.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
In Ohio: Lake Erie and if time permits Walleye fishing. The Ohio Island are a nice Ferry day trip and the Perry Monument is a must.

Canton has Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Columbus has OSU and Woody's Cathedral if you lime football. Hocking Hills in SE Central Ohio is a beautiful place. Old man's cave a good hike.

Give me some idea what your interests are. I traveled Ohio for many years. If you have children Cedar Point and Kings Island are good bets. KI has coaster fame and Cedar Point is on Lake Erie both are great amusement parks.

Bird_chaser
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jim, this is Boomer from the GD forum. When in CA, I would not miss Sequoia NP, there you will see the largest and oldest living things on earth. I know everyone suggests Yosemite and yes we love it too, but Sequoia is just like Yosemite without the crowds. Second I would go to Lassen Volcanic NP, it is just as active as Yellowstone, except you can get up closer here. Have a great and safe trip.
2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2001 Silverado 3500, 6.0L/4L80e

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
NYC, yes the city. Park the rv outside the city, take the train in, grab a on off bus and check out the city and sights. Get tickets for your favorite show, eat a NYC slice, (pizza) have a meal at a deli.. such a great place! And shop shop shop!

TNbackwoodswoma
Explorer
Explorer
We found the best way to enjoy our trips was to decline in making many reservations ahead as this locks you into "needing" to arrive at so and so place by so and so date.

If you see a town or a sign advertising something, or a historical marker, you would like to check out, do it!!! Don't say, " we'll check it out next time ", because more than likely you'll never get back to it. Some of the best places are off the beaten path.

While in Tennessee, go to Smoky Mtn. Knife Works in Sevierville, TN, really awesome place, your wife should love the lower floor with all the 'kitchen' stuff, etc.

If you visit Utah, go to Arches National Park and the Devil's Garden Campground.

In Oklahoma in the pan-handle, check out the museum at Boise City, OK. Small town, very interesting museum and local history, schedule the time to visit the Autograph Rock and a tour of the old Fort in the area. There are also dinosaur digs in the area.

In the Four Corners area, there is an tour that is operated by the local Native Americans and they take you on a tour of their lands where there are dinosaur footprints.

New Mexico has a plethora of 'old west' history to explore. Old missions, ghost towns, awesome museum at the El Camino Real.
Check us out.

Enjoy your travels, see the backroads, and stay safe.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
pitch wrote:

Watkins Glen

I believe it was at Watkins Glen that I stopped by a small city run park, on the lake and an adjacent marina on the river. they charged a little extra for AC and I told him I would be running it for a few minutes to cool things down and he didn't charge me. as I recall you come down a fairly steep hill and there is a wicked left at the bottom.
bumpy

It's called Clute Park. It's not a destination park. But that's okay, because the whole area is a destination. You are right on the Wine Trail, there is shopping within walking distance, and there is a marina with a boat launch next door.

We stayed there years ago. Park was clean and level, with paved roads.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tomorrow's parade magazine has a reference to parade.com/trip with 50 states/50 sights.
bumpy

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on retirement first.
This would be a list of a few of our favorites.
CA- Yosemite is top of our list, Sacramento has an awesome railroad museum. Coast redwoods.

OR- drive the coast. Astoria has a great maritime museum as well as fort Stevens and fort Clatsop. The Portland zoo is great as well as Oregon museum of science and industry where you can tour a submarine. The Columbia river gorge is also worth a look.

WA- Mt St Helens. Olympic nat. pk. We stayed in Port Angeles and went to Hurricane ridge. We also took the passenger ferry over to Victoria BC for the day.

There are so many great places to visit you can't possibly see them all. After I retired we took nine months to tour the USA and only scratched the surface.

Have a great trip.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Yep that would be Clutes Park.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:

Watkins Glen

I believe it was at Watkins Glen that I stopped by a small city run park, on the lake and an adjacent marina on the river. they charged a little extra for AC and I told him I would be running it for a few minutes to cool things down and he didn't charge me. as I recall you come down a fairly steep hill and there is a wicked left at the bottom.
bumpy

Explorer II
Explorer II
San Antonio
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857