cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Idaho fires

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of taking a trip to to Idaho end of the month and were wondering how the conditions are with all the fires in the region? Are there a lot of closures and poor air quality? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
๐Ÿ™‚
9 REPLIES 9

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We just cancelled our 8 days at Mountain Valley RV in Heber City (which were very hard to get) because the fire was about 25 miles away. Hope to get back there again. Betsy.
Betsy

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
As written before---a situation can boil up in minutes, literally. Plan carefully and enjoy our great state.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Always be prepared. Before we head out boondocking, I call the ranger station, as I stated before, but when we park, we stay either hitched, if possible, and if not possible, we stay lined up so we can hitch quickly.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickyeye wrote:
We're thinking of taking a trip to to Idaho end of the month and were wondering how the conditions are with all the fires in the region? Are there a lot of closures and poor air quality? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Plan your trip, but be ready to change plans! It is three weeks to the end of the month, and anything can happen between now and then.
If last year is any indication you may get setup in a park far from fires, then have one start across the road and need to evacuate!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Air quality varies from day to day; with the prevailing winds, we get a lot of smoke from fires in the Pacific coast states, as well as a bit from our own. Other than a big one in the wilderness area of central Idaho, we don't have as many/big fires as last year, I believe. Another month, still under drought conditions, though - who knows what it will be like? You're welcome to come - but there are no guarantees of clean air or open roads.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

24mileboy
Explorer
Explorer
We were just north of Salmon and down to Stanley last week and most everything is open! Lots of smoke but some clear days also! Was up to Island Park two weeks ago and the same applied! Fire restrictions in place so be aware!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with pfidahospud, location of where you want to go would help. Even with the fires, I call the ranger district of where we plan to go boondocking to check for safety. Skies overall may be smokey, but once you're in the mountains, it's bearable. Smoke in the mountains camping is better than smoke in the valley working IMO.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho's kinda big. Any specific location? In general, it's hot and smoky. Especially in north Idaho many national forest areas are completely closed due to fire danger.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a good site to check status of individual fires in areas of interest. But it doesnโ€™t tell of smoke or air quality, which changes rapidly with wind speed and direction.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7487/