cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there any campground like Tom Sawyer farther North?

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We love Tom Sawyer but visiting there adds about 600 miles to our return trips to MA. Is there anything like it closer to I/80?
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew
20 REPLIES 20

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Across the river from Tom Sawyer: Elvis's home....

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Another one down south, that we have stayed at, is Riverview RV Park on the river in Vidalia, LA., across the river from Natchez.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
A COE campground on I-80 and the Mississippi and a few spots with river view is "Fisherman's Corner" 16123 IL-84, East Moline, IL 61244. It is a smaller park with lots of established trees.

Dean

What's that Illinek Campground just south of Fishermans? Looks good from the air.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I've been "inching up" the river on Goggle map from Memphis for 20 minutes. Found a CG on the river at Keithsburg, Illinois, Fairport, IA., Buffalo, IA., and Montpelier, IA.
Might be an interesting "theme" trip....follow the river.
I'll get back to you after my fingers rest...gotta go see if the paint has dried.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Sawyer is a private campground in West Memphis, AR and just over the bridge from Memphis, TN.

link

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
A COE campground on I-80 and the Mississippi and a few spots with river view is "Fisherman's Corner" 16123 IL-84, East Moline, IL 61244. It is a smaller park with lots of established trees.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is it about Tom Sawyer that appeals so much to you? And returning to MA from where?

If it is about a campsite on the waterfront, there are hundreds of COE access sites that offer this, but not necessarily on the Mississippi River or another equivalent like the Ohio. But most are just as far south, and particularly not along the I-80 corridor. Some of the nicest riverfront and reservoir campgrounds are on the Arkansas River and its tributaries, along or north of I-40, but mostly south of I-70.

In the I-80 corridor I most often find that my campground, if not a parking area behind a gas station at an interchange, or on the edge of a borrow pit, is at best in a small wooded area next to a cornfield. But I've not checked out all the lock and dam access areas on the Mississippi, which is maintained navigable beyond Minneapolis.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
OK, from all the answers referencing COE CG's, I assume Tom Sawyer is also one, But where?

It's actually not a COE campground, but an RV park that sits right next to the Mississippi and offers views of the river and river boat traffic. Here's their website.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, from all the answers referencing COE CG's, I assume Tom Sawyer is also one, But where?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. We visit Oregon every year and are always looking for GREAT STOPS along the way!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Pikes Peak State Park, McGregor, Iowa is located at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi. Across the river is Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

Pikes Peak

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
New York has a few state parks along the St Lawrence, at least some of which I think would have some boat traffic going by. I had a hard time (quickly) trying to determine how much the St Lawrence Seaway is used these days, and what numbers I did see were typically in unhelpful units (tons and cruise ship passengers and so forth rather than numbers of various types of vessels).

I don't know whether they would be less out of the way for the original poster.

its_just_me
Explorer
Explorer
We really like all COE parks. Foscue Creek in Demopolis, Al and Gunter Hill near Selma, Al are two of our favorites. We are lucky here in Al. because we have 19 Coe parks.
2005 FORD F350 DIESEL DUALLY W/ 28 ft Rockwood TT w/ 3 slides.

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at arrowhead marina and Rv park in Scotia NY. for the entire summet. We saw barges, boats, a few bass boats and some gorgeous sailboats. Nothing like Tom Sawyer but still very nice.