cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itinerary for southern Oregun and northern Cal

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously I'm not lazy just very overwhelmed.
1st stop is Great Basin National Park
We already have reservations for that visit.
2nd area to visit is Crater Lake National Park no reservations but pretty much sure we can get in somewhere near.
3rd is Redwood National Park which this area is so confusing. Looks so large and not sure whether to camp in 1 place and drive or camp in different areas.
4th is Lassen Volcanic National Park
And the rest not sure what order but Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
And maybe Yosemite if we can go later in September.
We are in no hurry we fulltime and as long as we r back east in November.
Usually I'm so in the know of where to camp and what to visit in the area but this area of the country is so vast I'm just at a halt.
And no we didn't make advanced reservations but we usually have no problem finding a place even if it's an hour from where we want to go.
I know long post but any suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Thanks so much Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
17 REPLIES 17

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
So here's our update. Broken Arrow Campground is absolutely beautiful and plenty of site to fit 36ft rvs. We loved the bike trail around the lake. That is the perfect Campground to stay while visiting Crater Lake National Park.

We didn't get to go to Redwoods National Park. Our truck broke down on a Sunday and we were to leave the next day from Grants Pass Oregon. Still in the area can't get the part we need for our truck. It's the TCM part for our chevy and we and the dealers have called everywhere in this country to find that part and they are all on back order with a 6+ month shipment possible and maybe not then. The very sad thing it's an easy fix if you have the part. So unfortunately had to buy a new truck. But I must say the people in Grant's Pass and Medford Oregon have been so kind and helpful to us. So we will have to do that trip later. Waiting on our hitch kit cause this new truck has a long bed our other short bed. And also waiting on tonneau cover. But blessings are we didn't break down on Hwy 199 from Grant's Pass to Crescent City Cal.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

kathy31
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Redwood National Park back in 2018. We stayed in Crescent City at the Crescent City KOA. We visited the sections of the park that were close to this area. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the areas we saw. We hiked different sections of the park for two days, which was enough for us. The areas we saw were fabulous. One of the highlights of our trip.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If your physical conditioning is good, hike down to Crater Lake on the Cleetwood Cove trail. Then, go for a swim in the lake. I've done this numerous times, and feel like it is a bucket list type outing. Pick a hot day. Watching the shoreline fade away then the crystal clear water turns a dark blue as you swim out, pretty eerie.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the confusion about Redwood NP may come from the fact that it is partly national park and partly state park, and is interwoven in patches, with private property in between. We wanted FHUs and stayed in the Crescent City KOA - great location, typical KOA but it does have some huge stumps of previously-logged redwood trees (makes for a fun walk in the evening, as cabins & tent sites are located in among these stumps - pretty cool.) Anyway, we stayed there several days and did day trips from there, which worked out well.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I think it is a length problem not a full time problem.
Then why not just say that?

caysea7254 wrote:
Yes it is the length. Max trailer length is 25 ft. I went in to check.
It says that here:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413

But if you click on the big square on that page that says "camping reservations" it takes you here:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=31008

and that says "Some sites can accommodate trailers or motorhomes up to 36 feet (no hookups)."

Sigh.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Found another site at Broken Arrow so we reserved for 4 days. If we want to stay longer maybe we would be fortunate enough to get a 1st come 1st served site for another few days or so.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is the length. Max trailer length is 25 ft. I went in to check.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
caysea7254 wrote:
Ok question about Broken Arrow campground on Diamond Lake. Trying to make a reservation site length says 45ft our 5th wheel is 31ft . Wont let us book cause trailer length can't be more than 25ft. But read a review in campedium and a guy with a 40 ft 5th wheel got into site B07 and that site is 45ft and says max length for trailer is 24. Don't understand. Please let me know. Thanks Tara

7/2021 We stay in a 35 foot 5er No problem lots of room. There are only a few ??? big rig sites. We moved from Diamond Lake after we chose to stay a few days more at crater lake. Found Broken Arrow only about 50% full.

Are you sure you are on the Broken Arrow CG in OR????. I looked on Here many sites 55 feet.Reservation.gov
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Rice wrote:
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Since the OP is full time I doubt they would be allowed in Jedediah Smith. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413
A state park has a prohibition against fulltimers? Aside from why they would have it, how would they even know?

I think it is a length problem not a full time problem.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Ok question about Broken Arrow campground on Diamond Lake. Trying to make a reservation site length says 45ft our 5th wheel is 31ft . Wont let us book cause trailer length can't be more than 25ft. But read a review in campedium and a guy with a 40 ft 5th wheel got into site B07 and that site is 45ft and says max length for trailer is 24. Don't understand. Please let me know. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, I'd wonder about that full-timer comment too??? I've spent years camping in CA state parks - part of that time as a full-timer as well, and never heard of that nor been denied a campsite. MOF, lived in CA thirty years, and never heard or saw anything like that. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Since the OP is full time I doubt they would be allowed in Jedediah Smith. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413
A state park has a prohibition against fulltimers? Aside from why they would have it, how would they even know?

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
So we have changed route. We will head north thru Idaho and see some sites then over to Oregun and visit Crater Lake National Park and then hopeful get into a few state parks on the Oregun coast then head south to Northern CA and visit the National and state parks in Northern half of CA. We have checked Browken Arrow campground and that's perfect. So as soon as we see time frame will make reservations. Still looking around redwoods. July and early August is crowded. We will take our time and do those places last part of Aug. Thank you all for the info appreciated. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer