cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joshua Tree in January... and dry camping questions

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
AnyOne camped in Joshua Tree in January? I read temperatures can dip into the 30’s at night?
Originally thought to base ourselves at Sam’s RV Park in the Palm
springs vicinity but the campgrounds in Joshua Tree Np sound amazing. Especially Belle. And not sure if ‘day’ trips would give us the best of Joshua Tree!
We are 2 adults, 3 boys.
Have never dry camped... but should 🙂
Any tips!
9 REPLIES 9

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Camp more like in a tent and less like in a trailer. What I mean by that is you need to be aware of your water and electricity usage.

If you shower then take a navy shower.
  • Get wet including your hair.
  • Turn off shower head, not the knobs.
  • Soap up including shampoo.
  • Turn on shower head and rinse off.
  • Turn off shower and get out.

Do not use unnecessary water to wash dishes.
Use paper towels to wipe the dishes pretty darn clean.
Many people use two plastic trays, one full of soap water and one full of rinse water. I have a double sink and like to fill one side with soapy water.

I soap and scrub the dishes and put them in the other sink. Then I turn on the faucet so the stream is less than the diameter of a pencil and rinse off the dishes.

Turn off unnecessary lights. If everybody is out by the fire at night there is no reason for any lights to be on in the trailer. If somebody goes inside they turn on the light they need then turn it off when done.

Top up your propane tanks just before the trip. Run anything that can run on propane, on propane.

Do you have one or two batteries for the trailer? Typically people say to expect one night of heater per battery. You can stretch that by running the heater at a lower temperature and running it only when people need it like in the evening or morning.

Keep the heater kind of low, maybe set at 50 degrees at night and use another blanket. If 50 is too cold set it at 55. Turn the heater up in the morning for getting dressed and cooking. You might be able to turn the heater off when you are cooking as the stove and oven put off a lot of heat. DO NOT try to use the stove or oven for heat as they are potential sources of carbon monoxide. But if you're cooking anyway then enjoy the added bonus of the heat.

If you leave the trailer and campsite like to go exploring for the day make sure you turn off the water pump.

If you have or can borrow a small generator then do so. You can use it to plug your trailer in and charge up a low battery.

If no generator available make sure to bring standard automotive jumper cables. In a pinch you can turn your truck around and use the cables to charge up a dead battery. Yes it's a big, fuel guzzling, expensive generator, but it will get the job done. Don't let the truck idle so long that you burn up all the fuel necessary to get at least to a filling station.

Remember if all else fails, you are still still in a large very comfortable tent.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
so...we ended up at a family wedding in England instead of Joshua Tree, BUT we plan to go there this winter! just narrowing down campgrounds. Jumbo Rocks worries me, reviews of loud groups, not much privacy. Belle sounds more appealing...? Do you think January 1st would be a day that people are leaving campgrounds, or not? One plan means we'd end up there Jan 1st, for 3 nights.... with 2 nights prior to that outside the park, to to have a day getting supplies and taking the 7 year old to Pioneer Town...
so tips on how to really enjoy the scenery at a peaceful campground but in a 30' TT greatly appreciated!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This blog post may be helpful:

Joshua in Jan

For whatever it's worth, it was not too cold at all -- maybe 50 at night. It's the desert in winter -- it can be cold. But that's what extra blankets are for, right??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Best bet to camp inside Joshua Tree (I agree with Jumbo Rocks campground) is to get there first thing in the morning and look for people packing up. Pay for the spot, put your tag on the post, and it's yours. Don't expect much quiet, Joshua Tree is very popular.

The other really good dry camping alternative is a nearby dry lake bed on BLM land, maybe 10 minutes from the main entry gate. Joshua Tree posts directions to the area on their website. I've camped out there several times, and it works fine.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I did tent camp waaaay back when in Joshua Tree and it was sometime during the winter, don't remember exactly what month. It was cold, like really cold. I recall someone left a large stainless steel dog bowl full of water out and that was frozen solid by the early morning.

Point is it does get well into freezing temps in the desert areas during some point in winter.
I love me some land yachting

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Camping in the 30s is fun...both tent and RV. Yes, the best experience is to stay in the park. I almost always dry camp. If you don't need AC there is no reason not to dry camp IMO and I don't like camping where AC is needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Bring extra blankets and you're set to go! With all that body heat it'll keep the RV warm anyway. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping and furnace can use a fair amount of battery power. Then you need to recharged with a generator or solar. Led bulbs help.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in Cottonwood CG the first of Feb. It did get cold, but nothing froze. We prefer Jumbo Rocks in the spring while the wild flowers are in bloom.

The 29 Palms RV park in 29 Palms with full hook ups might be an alternative in January.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog