cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Dardanelle SP, AR as base camp?

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to take my parents to see the Coal Miners Memorial in Altus, AR my Great Grandfather and other relatives are listed. Lake Dardanelle SP looks like a good base camp to visit Mt. Magazine SP, Mt. Nemo SP and Petit Jean SP. It is about 45-60 minutes to visit most of these places. We like to fish and prefer State or Fed parks. Any comments or suggestions?
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB
8 REPLIES 8

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think Old Post Park in Russellville would be your best choice. It is less expensive than the state parks and is a really nice park with large shade trees and the sites are farther apart.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you I would make reservations in any Arkansas state park.
Just because a lot of the national parks have closed partly or all togather,and people want to camp some where.

The hill on Magazine at leats on the south side is twisty I haven't pulled up it yet but did ride the bike up ther a few times.

arkidog
Explorer
Explorer
suggest you visit www.arkansasstateparks.com and check on availability for the dates you plan to visit. Also print out the brochure for the park for maps and details. The main portion of the park is located on the Russellville side of Lake Dardenelle with 57 campsites with fishing piers and hiking trails. The smaller portion is located city of Dardanelle side of the lake. only has 18 campsites.
The Russellville side is a lot nicer.

Arkidog
2019 GD Momentum 21G
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
d_eggman2, I thought I read something about a steep hill to Mt. Magazine. Do you think we would need reservations for weekdays at Lake Dardanelle?
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay at the COE park on Dam Road on the Russellville side of the Arkansas River..you will be a lot closer to the places you want to go and also be close to some great places to eat in Russellville..Just 10 bucks with the old folks card..Water and Electric only with a dump station.
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
Dardanelle SP is great if you do a lot of fishing can't hardly beat it.
Me personaly I like Petit Jean SP better for camping,hiking.

Mount Magazine SP is nice also just a steep hill to pull.

You can't go wrong with any of the above.

Just make sure you reserve well ahead of time.

PS also I would recomend if staying at Dardanelle get one of the 50 amp newer sites they are a lot bigger and right on the water.

have a good one.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie, that sounds nice but it is East of Dardanelle.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t know if I,m in the right area ? but I,ve spent time at greers ferry lake .there state park was very nice. and the fishing great.