cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Superior…..how bad are the bugs this time of year?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
The family and I are taking our camping up to Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior….close to Pictured Rock State Park.

Has anyone camped up around that area during this time of year? Some of the reviews I’ve seen online say that the bugs can get really bad……I’m just trying to figure out how “Bad” that really is. Do we just need to stock up on bug spray, or is it so bad that we need to invest in some bug suits?

Any info would be great!!
11 REPLIES 11

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
The family and I are taking our camping up to Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior….close to Pictured Rock State Park.

Has anyone camped up around that area during this time of year? Some of the reviews I’ve seen online say that the bugs can get really bad……I’m just trying to figure out how “Bad” that really is. Do we just need to stock up on bug spray, or is it so bad that we need to invest in some bug suits?

Any info would be great!!

How did you find the bugs in Munising? Sometimes they were alright in Grand Marais, sometimes darned vicious. Further East near Blind Sucker river, the flies not so bad but the mosquitoes where super thick.

I had two Thermacell PatioShield units going outside the camper. They were a life saver.

I'm impressed enough I will buy the rechargeable battery power unit. I think having it run without giving off heat and CO2 (from burning butane), the battery powered unit will work even better.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
The Winged Menace Season normally gets better by mid-July.

Permaethrin on cloths (shirts, pants, socks, etc.) will normally last for a month, and Picardin is somewhat effective on the skin.

We use headnets rather than lather up the face. Also, don't forget your hands.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
In Grand Marais right now. Flies were bad when I arrived. However the temperature has plummeted now and that seems to have scared them off. Barely 50F right now.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
It can be hit or miss.
I used to work in the woods in the U.P. and black flies and skeeters were terrible in June and into July. We wore head nets and gloves...no bare skin anywhere and bite proof clothing.

But a couple of years ago, the wife and I took an RV trip through the U.P. In mid-June and had nary a skeeter and no black flies. I was shocked. We only encountered bad, but tolerable skeeters at Lake Goebic State Park in western U.P.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
So, pre-treat your clothes with permethrin spray.
Apply some Johnson's to exposed skin.
Top it with Avon Skin So Soft.
Then use OFF with DEET as a sealer coat.

You'll be good to go. 😄

I'll be headed up that way next month myself. Hopefully the bugs stay gone.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
was out on the islands one time said I,d never do it again ,that was 45yrs ago and havn,t even come close. it just spoils everything.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Northwoods in June are terrible.
Bring headnets and long sleeves.

We camp on the beach in Delaware and sometimes get eaten alive.... One trip the volunteer camp host told us about this - Johnsons baby - Green Bottle

It really does work well..... Keeps MOST of the chiggers and gnats off us completely....

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere in the UP is usually bad for bugs this time of year. However we were just up there and it was cool, mid-60s for highs. Almost no bugs. Very nice! We've had some weeks in June where we got eaten alive.

It's getting a little warmer now, may hit some 70s in Munising this week. I'd still plan on bugs. I have not heard anything about tick dangers this year,so if you are doing any hiking stay on the trails and avoid tall grass.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
They are bad depending on the wind. If it's from the north, no problem, that keeps the bugs away. When it switches around to the south, the bugs are pushed out and hungry!

It's not mosquitoes, its the flies (some small, some large) and gnats (very small). The flies actually remove flesh, and the gnats like to crawl into your eyes, ears, nose and mouth.

Bug spray does not work against either really, the flies ignore it, even 100% deet. The gnats, well, spray is somewhat effective? I can tolerate it on my ears and a bit on my forehead, but the strong stuff tends to feel like burning on my skin after a while.

Long pants and sleeved shirts, light gloves and a bug net are the best defense. I still have scars on my legs from when I decided to hike around in the woods wearing shorts because it was 90 degrees.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
My brother just traveled every county in the up last week with a popup. Had a great time. Never mentioned bugs being bad