cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large 5th Wheel At Custer State Park

craigandsue
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to the Black Hills this summer. Which Custer State Park campground would you recommend that will accommodate a 42' fifth wheel?
Craig, Sue, 2 boys
2013 F350 DRW Diesel, 2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, 05 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe
11 REPLIES 11

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Game lodge you could probably do it. I stayed at Bluebell and don't think that would work.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Personally I would consider a private park outside of the State Park. More creature comforts and more likely built with large trailers in mind.

Can you believe that some folks don't care about 'creature comforts'? ๐Ÿ™‚

We'd rather have the scenery and wildlife.

I would speculate that the OP with a 42' 5er probably enjoys their creature comforts.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
why not get the answer from the horses mouth (605) 255-4515

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Personally I would consider a private park outside of the State Park. More creature comforts and more likely built with large trailers in mind.

Can you believe that some folks don't care about 'creature comforts'? ๐Ÿ™‚

We'd rather have the scenery and wildlife.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
We were in site 12 at Game Lodge a few years ago in a 35 foot fifth wheel. There was extra room on the pad in front of our truck after we unhooked so you may fit. We saw some big motor homes on some of the sites. If you are in doubt give the park a call. We have camped outside of Custer and at Game Lodge and definitely enjoyed Game Lodge the best. Good luck.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We spent a week at "Custer's Gulch RV Park" and found it very convenient to the Wildlife Loop, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Highway, and Mount Rushmore.

We liked it well enough that we would stay there again on a visit to the area.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in the late 90's and stayed at Rafter J campground which is very nice, but expensive. If Custer had electric hookups at the time, we would have stayed there because it cuts down on driving. There is so much to see in the park itself. Make sure to stop at all the visitor centers because they are all a little different. On the wildlife Loop you will see buffalo, prairie dogs and wild burros who will mooch food from you. The Iron Mountain Highway takes you through some very narrow tunnels and when you exit one. Mt Rushmore is right in front of you. Other things we liked in the area were the Cosmos, Bear Country USA, the badlands and Wall Drug.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stockade Lake N CG. We have hosted there and had some huge rigs come in. Electric only (50 amp) and water available. Of course some sites and much roomier than others. Top level toward the lake, just before the cure would be my choice.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some photos of the campsites at Game Lodge. Make sure you read up on directions getting into the various campgrounds. There are some tunnels around that you shouldn't go near. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, here is the park's description of the campground site sizes. Check this site for all the campgrounds in the park. Click on the campground description to get the sizes.

https://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/campgrounds/game-lodge/campsites.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-0iv0SFmTA
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend Game Lodge but since it is very popular and reservations are available one year in advance, you may fine it challenging to get the dates and site you need. It has electricity, laundry, bathrooms, showers and a dump station, with water available in the campground but not at your site.

If the system is still the same as it was a few years ago, advance reservations were required for Game Lodge.

IIRC, many of the other CGs in the park are beautiful but some have smaller sites and lack hookups.