cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a dark sky site for the winter

Sliversnake
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced full service dark sky location to spend the winter. I am an amateur astrophotographer and full time RVer who would like to find a southwestern campground that is high, dry, and has dark clear skies far away from city lights. I am thinking New Mexico, Arizona, or Nevada but am open to other suggestions. Please share your experiences with me on these locations.

Thank you
Sliversnake
19 REPLIES 19

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at the Ft. Davis area there is also the Crow's Nest RV park about 15 miles west of town. I drive by it a couple of times a year but have never been inside. Looks like a good place.
I need some wild

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
I thought the idea of having wheels was to get away from freezing temps and snow in the Winter???

For some.

For others, I know fulltimers who CHOOSE to spend their winters in Colorado so they have "wicked skiing".

Not for me, I'm like you- I want warm winters. But I also don't question/knock those who are accepting of cold.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend National Park if you really want to feel like you could reach up and touch the stars.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Second Fort Davis, Texas. And the McDonald Observatory is just over the hill with some REALLY BIG telescopes. My favorite Southwestern dark skies location is Chaco Culture National Historic Park, but I sure wouldn't want to spend a winter there!

We stayed at Lost Alaskan RV Park last January and it was ok for a short time.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We were park hosts at Davis Mountains State Park one year for Nov, Dec, Jan. It got down to 19 about four times. Only one day stayed below 32. Of course that could change. We didn't think of it as cold compared to Dallas, but it was certainly colder than Arizona.

Cost wise the Davis Mountains area will definitely be cheaper than AZ. Though the cheapest winter rates I've heard of were Deming, NM. But it was also much colder from the folks I've talked to.

I would not recommend the RV park in Fort Davis which is downtown and associated with Passport America.

Consensus is that Lost Alaskan RV in Alpine is the best value for the cost in the area.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Davis Mountains State Park ... Unbelievable sky!

Yes that area is wonderful,...I recall staying at Balmorhea State Park and it was the most awesome night sky ever.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
baker,nevada/great basin national park cold but what a view

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "seeing" is often better in cold, clear weather -- less thermal disturbance in the atmosphere. We sat outside at Kodachrome in Utah in ten degree weather to watch a meteor shower. (Bundled up like Eskimos, of course.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Guess this must be incorrect. My mistake. You're talking average high, not average temp. Got it.
To each his own. I'll take the 60-70 degree days in Jan and Feb! Not 21 degrees at night.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Sliversnake wrote:
Thanks Tyrone, Rusty's is just what I was looking for.

I thought the idea of having wheels was to get away from freezing temps and snow in the Winter???

Average high temp:
November 64.4
December 56.4
January 55.00
February 59.5
Some snow but on the whole won't stay on the ground long.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Davis Mountains State Park ... Unbelievable sky!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Sliversnake wrote:
Thanks Tyrone, Rusty's is just what I was looking for.

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Mannon89
Explorer
Explorer
Davis state park in Texas is very dark and they have the McDonald Observatory nearby there check it out . Really nice place. Private camping is also available.
:Having:B fun traveling down the road with my sweetie (spouse of 35+years)

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend Nat'l Park is about as dark as you can get. A few years ago the park underwent a lighting upgrade done specifically to participate in the "dark sky" effort. Plus, within the park there's at least 25 miles of nothing between various park facilities. It's also not that far from the McDonald Observatory if you want to visit the big guns.
Currently Between RVs