cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking For S. Texas Parks

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm planning to winter down in South Texas, meaning the Harlingen, Brownsville, RGV area. I don't want to spend a fortune or I would probably be in South Florida, but I will spend a little extra for a nice park with some amenities. The amenities that might interest me would be things like pickleball, tennis, shuffleboard, other fun activities. Close to some nice parks with bike trails would be a plus. A park with nice streets and pads would be nice, but that's not a must have. Do some members here know of some parks there that might fit the bill? I see the parks on the AllStays website (there are a lot in the area) and I can research them one by one, but personal recommendations are always a good source.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
24 REPLIES 24

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
alfredmay wrote:
Since this year will be different, one item to consider is what will be open at each RV park. Parks with lots of facilities charge more money. If the facilities are closed then you are paying for something you will not receive.

That, too. I drove by a Wilder RV Resorts park named Texas Trails in Pharr. It's a nice, big, clean park but nothing special. It has a price of $705 per month. I called and it sounded like they use one call center for all of their parks (I'm not sure). The lady started to pitch me all their special offers. I think she said if I pay for 3 months I get the 4th month free which means their $705 would be about $530 per month. I'll stay with my park that's charging $275 and is also nice and clean.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Since this year will be different, one item to consider is what will be open at each RV park. Parks with lots of facilities charge more money. If the facilities are closed then you are paying for something you will not receive.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I see that some folks recommend staying in the Middle of the Valley. The only problem with that is that you are always traveling somewhere to find what you want. If you want to visit the Gulf of Mexico occasionally, there are dozens of parks within thirty miles. Like to bass fish on Falcon Lake? There are parks in the western part of the Valley. The middle of the Valley would require a 70 mile drive to either of these two places. My point is not to question other people's advice, but to suggest that you find something close to your interests. Our Single's bunch likes to dance and there are many dances and music jams in the Middle of the Valley.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
The further away from the coast the warmer it is. Most Winter Texans stay inland. IMO a mid valley location is best for exploring the valley. However, once you find the right RV park there will be plenty to do and see.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
pawatt wrote:
take a ride over to palmview and check out the parks on Benson Palm drive. you might find something you like here. from 200 to $900 a month. be sure to check mission West, greengate Grove, Americana, and Val's country corral. they're also several others. Golden Grove is very reasonable but no pool. we are on the bike trails and state park next door.

Palmview? Hmm. That's a little further west than I was planning to go, but I mapped it and it's only 25 minutes from here. We might swing out that way. Is there any particular thing you like more about that area?

1 mile off freeway so no traffic noise but easy access. Close to Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and World Birding center. Close to Mission Nature Park, Close to National Butterfly Center. Easy access to paved bike trails. 4 HEB stores within a couple miles, 3 Wal Marts within a couple miles. Good Medical care in McAllen and Edinburg. Riverside Club on the Rio Grande. 2 Big Flea and Farmers Markets close by. Less wind than lower Valley. We are in Green Gate Grove, We own our lots here but several lots for rent by owner, Office has a list. You will want to check out all the parks south of the freeway and also on Business 83, Mission West is nice. On the Rio Grande Chimney Park off South Conway and on South Inspiration Road 7 Oaks Park. Americanna on Bentsen Palm Drive, Bentsen Grove, Green Gate Grove, Golden Grove, Cheap, Large lots but no Pool or spa. Lamplighter, Privately owned lots with some for Rent by owner, Vals Country Corral, Small friendly park, salt water pool. Couple run down parks, Retama Village, Very high test. Bentsen Palm Village Resort, Hi Test, expensive.
Good Luck, let us know what you find.
pawatt

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
pawatt wrote:
take a ride over to palmview and check out the parks on Benson Palm drive. you might find something you like here. from 200 to $900 a month. be sure to check mission West, greengate Grove, Americana, and Val's country corral. they're also several others. Golden Grove is very reasonable but no pool. we are on the bike trails and state park next door.

Palmview? Hmm. That's a little further west than I was planning to go, but I mapped it and it's only 25 minutes from here. We might swing out that way. Is there any particular thing you like more about that area?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
alfredmay wrote:
Steve,
The Winter Texan area of the Rio Grande Valley runs from Rio Grande City in Star County to South Padre Island. Most of the RV parks are located from Mission to San Benito, but there are others outside of this area to the west and east of these towns. If you want to explore the area the best location in in the middle of the RGV which is the eastern part of Hidalgo County. That is where Donna and Mercedes are located. The RGV is very long and narrow so a trip from one end to the other and back is over 150 miles. VP and Llano have one location each and both are located right in the middle of what the valley has to offer in the way of events and things to do.

Alfred, or anyone else,

We arrived in Donna, TX and the first park we looked at was the cheapest, but it was a dump, IMO. The second one was $10 more for a night but much nicer. Not great, but clean and well kept. They showed me their rates. They want $275 for a month. I think that's great for a decent park.

Just to be sure I was checking Google maps for the parks in McAllen and Alamo. It seems like most of them are owned or managed by a company named Wilder RV Resorts at the website rvresort.com. All of those parks look to be $650 or more for a month. Do you know about those Wilder parks? Why so much more? I think most of it is just overpriced marketing like tennis shoes. I bought my new Filas on sale for $30. I'll probably stay where I am, at least for the first month.

Also, it's darn hot down here (I can't say the other word here). I'm from Texas so I know the weather changes, but I thought by late October I would be OK. The forecast is 7 more days in the 90s then it drops down to around 80. I don't trust the 10 day forecast. What is your experience here in November?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
alfredmay wrote:
Steve,
The Winter Texan area of the Rio Grande Valley runs from Rio Grande City in Star County to South Padre Island. Most of the RV parks are located from Mission to San Benito, but there are others outside of this area to the west and east of these towns. If you want to explore the area the best location in in the middle of the RGV which is the eastern part of Hidalgo County. That is where Donna and Mercedes are located. The RGV is very long and narrow so a trip from one end to the other and back is over 150 miles. VP and Llano have one location each and both are located right in the middle of what the valley has to offer in the way of events and things to do.

Thanks for the info. Do you like that area better than Harlingen (a little bit north)? I was in Harlingen 10 years ago on travel and it looked pretty nice. I don't know much about RGV. Also, I looked at Isla Blanca on South Padre Island and they offer monthly rates at $550. I'd say that's reasonable on the beach, but maybe it's "a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" type situation. Anyway, I reserved 2 nights at Isla Blanca as we are moving down the coast before we settle down.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours stays at Paradise RV Park near Harligen. I haven't been there but I know he golfs once in a while at a nearby course and he does a lot of fresh water and salt water fishing. His DW does a lot of quilting with other ladies in the park. He's mentioned that the park has a woodworking shop and a leather working shop; there may be other clubs as well. I think he's mentioned that it has a pool, maybe two. I don't remember what the monthly fee was, but he's pretty frugal so it wouldn't be outrageous. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
alfredmay wrote:
Steve,

Both Llano Grande and Victoria Palms have older and newer sites. They are priced according to size and landscaping. IMO go for the best sites. Llano is more remote than VP so your drive off campus to get anything will be longer. Both have mid valley locations for easy exploring of the area.

Alfred

I'm not sure what you mean by "mid valley locations". Do they have more than one location for Llano Grande or do you mean there are other similar parks in cities more in the middle of RGV? What is considered RGV? Mission to Harlingen?

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

Both Llano Grande and Victoria Palms have older and newer sites. They are priced according to size and landscaping. IMO go for the best sites. Llano is more remote than VP so your drive off campus to get anything will be longer. Both have mid valley locations for easy exploring of the area.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Your best option going forward, is to call the parks that sparks an interest. This winter is going to be different that prior years. Some parks are still on lock down with limited access. Group activities will be limited this winter.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS