cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine and PEI camping

cinandtim
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Cincinnati to NH . We plan to spend the last week of July in the white mountains and then travel to PEI for a week before returning to Bangor to pick up our kids for 10 days in Maine. We have reservations for the last couple of days in Acadia. A couple of questions, 1). Is one week enough time to travel to travel to PEI from NH before returning to Bangor? We are up for adventure and can handle longer travel days, but want to allow enough time to see the sights. We have not yet explored this area of the world, If so, any suggestions on must sees? We enjoy biking, hiking, sight seeing and great food. 2). Any suggestions for the 10 days that we will be in Maine other than Acadia? Our children (20 something) will be flying into and out of Bangor to join us. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Have done Schoodic and Cobscook Bay over the past month and loved them both. If you swing through Cobscook ask for site 4, it's on the bay and it's non-reserveable. Another campground we love (mid-coast) is Pemaquid Point. Have fun.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Steve B. wrote:
Been camping in that area of Maine for years. I've done Acadia enough so I now go to the Schoodic section of the park. There is a new campground there that I'll be trying for the first time. You don't mention what you're camping in. The Schoodic Woods campground has restrooms but no shower facilities. I also recommend Sunset Point campground in Harrison, and I will be back at Cobscook Bay state park the end of August. No hookups there but what a great place. Good hiking in Acadia, get out on the trails and carriage paths. New campground called Reach Knolls about an hour from Acadia on another peninsula, nice harbor towns nearby and restaurants in each. All depends on what kind of camping you want to do.

We were at Schoodic Woods camground last year, and will be there again beginning of August.........You will LOVE it !

cinandtim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input! We appreciate it!

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping in that area of Maine for years. I've done Acadia enough so I now go to the Schoodic section of the park. There is a new campground there that I'll be trying for the first time. You don't mention what you're camping in. The Schoodic Woods campground has restrooms but no shower facilities. I also recommend Sunset Point campground in Harrison, and I will be back at Cobscook Bay state park the end of August. No hookups there but what a great place. Good hiking in Acadia, get out on the trails and carriage paths. New campground called Reach Knolls about an hour from Acadia on another peninsula, nice harbor towns nearby and restaurants in each. All depends on what kind of camping you want to do.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
We were in PEI last year for seven days and loved it so much we plan on going back next year for ten days.
If we want peace, quiet and a relaxing place where you almost have the beach to yourself, then PEI is for you.

GaryInMaine
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Reach Knolls in Brooklin Maine.
2013 Wildcat Sterling Edition

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
PEI by itself is good for a couple days - it's not very big - easy to see. it's a bit over 500 miles from Central NH to PEI - not all super-highway - and sites to see along the way. So, 2 nights on the road from NH, 2 nights on PEI, another night on the road to ME - there's 5 nights/6 days - your week is gone. So doable, but not a lot of breathing room... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's