Explorer
We will be camping here Summer, 2019.

Any site or loop recommendations?
popups sold. searching for my next camper
8 REPLIES 8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Do some training before you attempt hiking to Phantom Ranch. It's a doozy - both going down and up!

Some sites border the main highway and would be noisy. Look at the campground map when doing your choice.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/mather-campground-bulletin.pdf

Hover your curser over the pictures to get the site number:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/az/mather/

Here's a YouTube on Site 308 - looks spacious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojneGRSm7M
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Folks! Right now we're planning on tent camping, so any site will do, just didn't know if some loops were preferred. we are in between campers at the moment but that may change prior to our trip to GC.

We're hoping to get in at phantom ranch in June for two nights so we can hike down to the floor of the canyon and back up. we'll make our campground ressies as soon as they open.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Since you are not going until 2019 you should be able to reserve a large site. I fit in with a 30 foot TT. I forget the site number.

Make your reservations 6 months in advance.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you are small enough to get into Mathers, it is quite nice. Much nicer than Trailer Village which is more like a Trailer Park. No room. No matter which one, you are not there for the camping experience you are there for the canyon.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Or, if the tarp on the sewer hose doesn't work for you, there's a dump station at the entrance to the parking lot for the showers/laundry.
Camping aside, it's one of those places you have to do at least once, and stay for at least 3 days, to really see it. There's also a CG out to the east called Desert View that's first come, first served. Another option?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you end up at Trailer Village instead of Mather, bring a thick tarp to drape over your sewer hose -- the ravens will peck through the hose.

Why the ravens do this here and nowhere else, I don't know. But it's true.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you're driving, or pulling. Big rig or combo might not fit. The Mather (no "s") Campground sites and loops are all pretty much the same. Some sites are roadside pull throughs, some are back ins. Larger rigs/combos might not fit in the Mather CG. Probably around 25' in length will not have any problems at most sites, and there are a few exceptions that will work for a bit longer rigs. If you're longer than that, you might have to use the Trailer Village CG.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The bus stop is at the entrance (at the foot of the hill). One site is a good as any other.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos