cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt. Rushmore

rfcsb
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore this summer and would like a recommendation for a park to stay. We would like to stay at one park and travel around the area for about a week. 38' fifth wheel one lab retriever.
46 REPLIES 46

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beaver Lake Campground

Try that one. It is a bit out of the way, probably 20 minutes farther out than Rafter J. It is a nice looking campground, I haven't stayed there, but I have driven through it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to reserve rafter j for end of June. Too late, as were most other parks.
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stumps wrote:
TazFord wrote:
What would be other things to see or do besides Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse for that area with 10 available days from end of June to after July 4

the Mammoth Dig site is pretty cool

otherwise we usually take several days and explore Badlands National Park. very peaceful.

Another thing to consider, if you do go out to the Badlands NP...stop by Wall Drug! It's one of those locations, like the 4 Corners Monument, that many say is a rip off. However, I found it very entertaining, and certainly different. Just one more thing to cross off a bucket list. And I got a great Black Hills Gold ring at one of the jewelry vendors there.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
TazFord wrote:
What would be other things to see or do besides Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse for that area with 10 available days from end of June to after July 4

the Mammoth Dig site is pretty cool

otherwise we usually take several days and explore Badlands National Park. very peaceful.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
RafterJ

+1 on Rafter J. great spot, nice amenities.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

dedmiston
TazFord wrote:

Devil's Tower NP.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thom. I now think itโ€™s prioritizing attractions that we need to do. There is definitely more to do than we thought

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
TazFord wrote:

LOTS to see and do in the area, depending on your interests.

Just off the top of my head:

Wind Cave NP
Jewel Cave NM
Black Hills Caverns
Wonderland Cave
Custer State Park (easily a full day)
Needles Highway
Hike/Climb Harney's Peak (high point in SD - full day)
Bike along the Mickelson Trail

Google any of those for more information or Google "things to do in Hill City SD" for a comprehensive list of things. The above starter list would certainly occupy a goodly amount of 10 available days.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Rafter J. We stay there for a week every year. Most of the sites are more spacious than most campgrounds, even with full hookups.

Any of the campgrounds in Custer State Park are also very nice but a bit more on the south end of the Black Hill sights and attractions.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a Coast to Coast member Rushmore Shadows is very nice.

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
Rafter J
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Any of the campgrounds in Custer SP.

The campgrounds in the park are quite nice. Bluebell stands out. They have upgraded them to electric/water over the last 7 years. South Dakota does a good job. Be sure to take the back roads when you do the wildlife loop. It's worth it.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2X on the Horse Thief Campground. Nice camp with very friendly and helpful owners. Bear in mind it gets VERY busy the week of the Sturgis motorcycle rally.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed all over the area and the Rafter J Bar is the best choice for Rushmore. Not only is it close to Rushmore, but it's also centrally located to everything in the area.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S