cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mustang Island State Park - Texas

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
We had a reservation for early March (made only a week ago) and received an email today that due to the severe flooding from the hurricane, the park is closed until further notice. I called and was told that it might be closed thru all of 2018.

Wonder why they didn't know this earlier?

Oh well, we were looking forward to it.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
12 REPLIES 12

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at I B Magee. It is water and electric only. Dirt and gravel spots, they do have one section that is asphalt, parking lot style. The only advantage is that it is right on the beach. You can walk to the beach in a couple of minutes. It is not fancy. It has a lot of dirt, gravel, and sand, but as I said , it is right on the beach. I don't know how it is since the hurricane, you might want to give them a call.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone stayed at the Nueces County owned park, I.B. Magee Beach Park on the north end of Mustang Island at Aransas Pass? Either before or since the hurricane?

I am curious as to the quality of this park and if it is currently in operation. It gets am 8.2 on RVParkReviews.

http://www.nuecesbeachparks.com/ibmageebeachpark.html

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
craigandsue wrote:
Gulf Waters RV Resort is also open. It is a more upscale RV park with nice size well landscaped sites.

I just made a reservation for Gulf Waters a week ago for early March. They said they are completely recovered from the hurricane. Seems like a really nice place. This guy does a drive-thru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWZMSWriqo
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

craigandsue
Explorer
Explorer
Gulf Waters RV Resort is also open. It is a more upscale RV park with nice size well landscaped sites.
Craig, Sue, 2 boys
2013 F350 DRW Diesel, 2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, 05 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Commercial properties usually have insurance and getting the facility open is the sole concern of the owners. It is often their only business/ source of income.

Federal facilities and most state facilities are โ€˜self insuredโ€™ with the government taking all financial risks. After something like a hurricane, repair and reopening of recreation facilities is never near the top of the government priority list. Money might even be taken away from the state parks budget to be put to things like road repair and bridge repairs.

In Texas, the US Army Corps of Engineers Fort Worth District has not yet completed half of the repairs needed after the 2015 & 2016 floods.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Pioneer RV Resort right down the road from the SP is open for business. Was at their web site the other day. We stay there all the time and love it. We do avoid the summer crowd, though.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Goose Island State Park in Rockport is also closed! These two parks took a beating from Hurricane Harvey! However, repair work for both is in progress, and it will just take time to get them re-opened!

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Read an article in the Texas Parks and Wildlife mag that between facilities and parks they had millions upon millions of dollars in damage. The pressing concern is the facilities and offices. The parks will come later.

MajorJeff
Explorer
Explorer
This is posted today Closure Alert : Dec. 5, 2017: The park is closed, due to damage caused by Hurricane Harvey. Check back here for updates on when the park will reopen.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mustang-island

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect they have been waiting and hoping they would get the money to be able to complete repairs and reopen the park in 2018,

My contacts with TX state parks tell me that several hurricane related repairs have recently been turned down at the level above TPWD with the message, maybe next year (2019)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like they forgot to update the ole innerweb

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Website clearly says park is closed. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mustang-island
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad