cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach State park thoughts.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who has camped at myrtle beach state park have any thoughts or opinions of the campground and park itself? we have a spot reserved for march 9th and 10th. Not interested in myrtle beach itself been there done that. Hoping for good weather. Just the wife and i plus 4 little dogs. we enjoy the more laid back less amenities type camping.
17 REPLIES 17

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
We camped there a few years ago and loved it. We also enjoyed the fact that the campground seemed to be in shielded from the strong ocean breezes which allowed for much better cooking and relaxing time.

Doug

good observation, that is in fact a downside to being ocean front.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
We camped there a few years ago and loved it. We also enjoyed the fact that the campground seemed to be in shielded from the strong ocean breezes which allowed for much better cooking and relaxing time.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
Spring is a great time to go to MBSP! Enjoy!
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We loved the campground and beach, etc. Have no issue with that. The airport thing wasn't too bad, but it is noticeable. Some mind it more than others. I would try Huntington as well.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed there twice and have a third trip booked. I like it, but I'm a beach person. The first 3 loops have a different look and feel than the back loops. Restrooms are dated but nice and clean, but I go in Oct. so can't comment on the summer season. Negatives are flight path and some sites have walnut trees, and the nuts can do some damage in a storm. Two vehicles in our group were damaged with dings. I actually prefer Hunting Island for a beach campground, but it was heavily damaged by Hurricane Matthew.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
wxtoad wrote:
We used to stop there on our way south each fall. A nice park, but sites are all in the woods and on the dark side. We switched to Huntington Beach for the more open sites.

Here are pictures and comments about Myrtle Beach SP.

Ted H.

Thanks for the pictures. Whats funny is I like MB for the exact reason you do not. The trees and the shade are a very desirable feature in my book.Shade and State Parks are a natural combo...LOL
Different strokes

Yeap, we're all different, eh? Now, we used to stop there in November when it was a bit chillier and the days shorter - thus our liking for some sun. If I were going to be there in summer, most definitely the shaded wooded sites would be my choice.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wxtoad wrote:
We used to stop there on our way south each fall. A nice park, but sites are all in the woods and on the dark side. We switched to Huntington Beach for the more open sites.

Ted H.

Thanks for the pictures. Whats funny is I like MB for the exact reason you do not. The trees and the shade are a very desirable feature in my book.Shade and State Parks are a natural combo...LOL
Different strokes
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure is rare, but that is the ONLY park in about 50 years of camping that I have ever had anything stolen from my site... Park itself was fine for our purposes, but I would try for Huntington Beach as mentioned above if back in the area. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Fizz wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
Only negative we found was it is in the flight path of the airport

That's the only thing I remember, never again.

Now see, that would be a plus for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Commercial aviation now. Imagine what it was like back in the day when it was an Airforce base. Nothing like it when those boys rolled out just after day break. BTDT! ๐Ÿ™‚
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

Now see, that would be a plus for me ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Quantum82 wrote:
We stayed there. It's like a 6.5 out of 10 on my scale. There's nothing particularly bad about the park, but we didn't find it outstanding in any aspect either. The beach is nice I suppose. If I found myself in the area, I would go back, but as mentioned above, it's a long drive from I95.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there. It's like a 6.5 out of 10 on my scale. There's nothing particularly bad about the park, but we didn't find it outstanding in any aspect either. The beach is nice I suppose. If I found myself in the area, I would go back, but as mentioned above, it's a long drive from I95.
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS