cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National parks annual pass--camping discounts or not?

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
The pass they sell that gets you into national parks and monuments--it used to be called the Golden Eagle but now it's the America the Beautiful pass or something like that--does it get you any discounts on national park camping spots? A poster on another thread said it did, and I tried to find that out on the NPS website, but amazingly, it doesn't say one way or the other.

I'm talking about the general-public $80 a year pass, not the senior pass.
24 REPLIES 24

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've always gotten the 1/2 price even if run by concessioners/contractor.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Only the senior and disabled paases give you discounts for campsites. The rest only give you day access into the parks.

THIS!

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Geobiker wrote:
If the campground is managed by a private concessionaire, the answer is no camping discounts. If the campground is managed by the park itself, yes, there are discounts. Unfortunately, it seems many parks (not just the NPS) are going to private concessionaires. But, even so, we use the pass all the time and highly recommend it for us geezers.

I recently made reservations at Yellowstoneโ€™s Madison CG which is managed by Xanterra and received the normal fifty percent discount for my senior pass. Itโ€™s also honored by CFIA which operates several USFS campgrounds here in the southeast. Perhaps itโ€™s up to the individual concessionaire/contractor but Iโ€™ve never camped on any federal lands that didnโ€™t allow the discount.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just FYI:

In some cases, contractors running a national park have installed electric pedestals, and when it does that, it charges a higher fee. It still allows discounts for Camp Sites, but then adds a non-discount fee for electric.

As I recall it in Teton NP, the camp fee was $26, and we paid $13, but the power fee of an extra $11 made the site $24 w/electric. It would have been $36 with no discount ... so the numbers don't add up exactly, but this is close. It was a couple years ago and I don't have receipts - and memory does what it does without our help ๐Ÿ™‚ Not all sites have electric upgrade.

But it shows that contractors in a park do add fees for services in come cases, and still honor the discount for Senior and Disabled pass for campsite, but not extra "services". We chose to stay in a non-electric site - so we paid the $13 per night.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do not confuse concessionaire with contractors.
Many parks are using contractors. The discounts are available.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
If the campground is managed by a private concessionaire, the answer is no camping discounts. If the campground is managed by the park itself, yes, there are discounts. Unfortunately, it seems many parks (not just the NPS) are going to private concessionaires. But, even so, we use the pass all the time and highly recommend it for us geezers.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The Geezer pass gets you 50 percent off camping fees. We paid $10 for ours and it paid for itself the first time we camped at a national park.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard the same confusion before the cost change. I found that many people bought the senior or access pass and just assumed the regular pass did the same thing. Or they didn't think to clarify that they were talking about the senior pass in particular assuming they were "talking" to other seniors on the forum.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some confusion may be caused now that the senior pass is also $80.
Puma 30RKSS

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I can also confirm that the answer is NO for the regular $80 annual pass.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I believe the answer is no, but I would not mind if someone could prove otherwise.
The answer is YES! Because we have used it several times. 2016 in Yellowstone $26 a night in Madison,we paid $13. 2017 in Cape Hatteras at Frisco Campground, $26 a night. We paid $13.

You were very lucky to get the discount, by several uninformed Rangers.
As noted, the only ones that SHOULD give you a discount are the Sr and Disabled pass. Even then, sometimes, someplaces, you get a minimal, or no discount, depending if a concessioner is running it.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's only the Senior Pass or the disability pass that gives you a discounted camping fee.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
FAQ for passes

Per the FAQs, passes are good for entrance or standard amenity fees (day use fees).

If you scroll down to the question "What are the passes good for?" , the answer states:

The passes provide entrance or access to more than 2,000 Federal recreation sites.

The Senior and Access Passes may also provide the pass owner a discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees such as camping. (Please contact a site directly if you have a question about pass acceptance and fees).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
rexlion wrote:
I believe the answer is no, but I would not mind if someone could prove otherwise.
The answer is YES! Because we have used it several times. 2016 in Yellowstone $26 a night in Madison,we paid $13. 2017 in Cape Hatteras at Frisco Campground, $26 a night. We paid $13.

But which kind of pass--regular annual pass or senior (lifetime) pass? The answers here seem to suggest that you need the senior pass to get that discount.