cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need recommendation for campground to view Eclipse

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We are planing to travel to NC,SC or TN to view the Eclipse on August 21st. We would like a recommendation for a nice full hook-up CG that is near the path of the upcoming Eclipse. We also will need to rent a car. Our intention is to stay in an area about a week so we can explore and of course experience the Eclipse. We have a 32 foot Class C and are two adults. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help us? We are traveling from Long Island, NY.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!
9 REPLIES 9

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Much thanks for all the replies. I will use your advice and see if I can at least get close to the path of the eclipse. We would like to see some of the natural sights and learn some history of the area we will visit. At this time I plan to be very flexible where we might stay. We are retired so we have the time to go further west if need be. I'll check out prior inquiries to this forum and also do some research of my own. Thanks again for all of your help. You have given me ideas to look into.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
There are several good campgrounds in the area around Crossville, TN including: http://www.ballyhoofamilycampground.com/

This is almost dead center for the path of the eclipse.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked around Murphy,Andrews,Hayesville, or Franklin NC?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You are way too late for reservations for any type of lodging in the eclipse path. Econolodge had 1 room available last week for $300/night. My advice is to get about 200 miles out and get up early and drive to a viewing location.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Click HERE to learn a few things before you actually view the map.

Then, to figure out WHERE you actually need to be, or close to, click HERE for a Google interactive map of the entire path of the eclipse. You can zoom in and click on any point and a bubble will appear with the info on beginning and ending times, and all other info you never dreamed of, for any spot you chose. This is an overlay on Google Maps, so it works the same way as GM as far as zooming and scrolling, etc.

Realize that every campground within a hundred miles of the center line of the path is most likely full, and you will need to do a bit of calling to find a place that still has openings or cancellations.

Also go prepared with the proper viewing "glasses" for EVERYONE in your party. It is only total for about two and a half minutes, so no chance to pass anything around, everyone needs the proper stuff.

THIS STIE which is where I got the links above, has about all of the info you could ask for, a clearing house of info from many places.

I expect to be in Nebraska to view the eclipse.

Also, since this has come up a number of times on this site, do some searches for "eclipse" or similar terms for all forums and you will find lots of info, including people asking about campgrounds in the SC/TENN area.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
LI-Camper wrote:
I am the OP. I am looking specifically for a recommended CG in an area that is near the path of the Eclipse. I also need an area where I can rent a car. Thanks.

That's a large amount of geography. If you were to tell us your other interests, we might be able to narrow it down for you. History? Amusement Parks? Fishing/hiking?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any near Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach State Park, Pirate Land, Ocean Lakes, and others.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP. I am looking specifically for a recommended CG in an area that is near the path of the Eclipse. I also need an area where I can rent a car. Thanks.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with SC or TN - from the path maps, it's just crossing the southwest tip of NC.

With that, I would look at those maps and see what else along the paths are of interest to you. Then pick the area that will give you the most interest.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)