cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice on upcoming east coast trip.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Memorial weekend I will be heading down from the Twin Cities area to Brimstone near Huntsville, TN to ride my RZR for a few days. Since I have room on my trailer I will be dragging the V-strom down with me. I have a week to burn. Since I have never been to the east coast why not swing over to the Ocean and ride the V-strom a bit on the Long way back.

First problem I'm having is where do I go NC or SC? I think I've settled on swinging into Kitty Hawk and ride up and down the outer banks. Would this be worth it or should I be looking into other areas?

Second problem the route home will bring me through washington D.C. and I would not mind swinging in. Parking looks scarce but I will have the V-strom with me so I could get into town with that. But where would I securely park the truck and trailer?
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
10 REPLIES 10

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
For the Dragon, spend a couple of nights in Townsend. That will give you easy access to the Dragon and 441 which could be done in a big loop. Little River Road from Sugarlands visitor center to Townsend is also pretty if you don't mind riding the slow 35mph.

Next move over to Waynesville, NC - recommend Creekwood Farm RV just off I-40. From there you can hit Hwy 276 and Hwy 215 up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 276 and 215 can be very fun just watch out for cars. The BRP will be 45pmh most of that section. About five miles north of Hwy 276 on the BRP is Pisgah Resturaunt which has good food and fantastic views. You can take Hwy 276 down to Brevard just expect a bit more traffic than on the west side.

Don't forget to check out Windrock ATV near Oakridge, TN and the off-road trails in Harlan, KY for more places to ride the Razor. You could leave the bike home and spend the whole week riding between these places.

I hear ya on leaving the bike at home. It becomes a real problem when one has to many hobbies!
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
For the Dragon, spend a couple of nights in Townsend. That will give you easy access to the Dragon and 441 which could be done in a big loop. Little River Road from Sugarlands visitor center to Townsend is also pretty if you don't mind riding the slow 35mph.

Next move over to Waynesville, NC - recommend Creekwood Farm RV just off I-40. From there you can hit Hwy 276 and Hwy 215 up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 276 and 215 can be very fun just watch out for cars. The BRP will be 45pmh most of that section. About five miles north of Hwy 276 on the BRP is Pisgah Resturaunt which has good food and fantastic views. You can take Hwy 276 down to Brevard just expect a bit more traffic than on the west side.

Don't forget to check out Windrock ATV near Oakridge, TN and the off-road trails in Harlan, KY for more places to ride the Razor. You could leave the bike home and spend the whole week riding between these places.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Going to Brimstone/Huntsville for a particular reason? If not change plans and go to Townsend TN. Its right at the Smoky Mtn.Nat'l park and Tail of the Dragon is not that far away (129) and you could do a big circle of the park and the area. Lots of options here.

Well I will be taking my RZR down to Brimstone to ride for 2-3 days. And will be camping on site. They have a big event called WKE that i'm looking forward to attending. I will have room on my trailer so figured why not drag the bike with me.

Well I've decided to change plans and stick around Tennessee and ride. Can any one recommend a campground?

I see a bunch of bike only campgrounds but need somewhere to park the truck and trailer.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the northeast corner of NC and frequently visit both the mountains (often camping at Horse Cove in Nantahala NF near The Tail of the Dragon) and on the Outer Banks (Frisco is our favorite there). As you research your trip, check out the Cherohala Skyway that runs from Tellico, Tn to Robbinsville, NC, great ride and near the Dragon.

If you do go to the Outer Banks, I'd suggest making a loop - Raleigh, US 70 to Cedar Island, ferry to Ocracoke, ferry to Hatteras, Hwy 12 to Nags Head, US 64 (or US 264 a bit longer but a more scenic ride) to Raleigh (or reverse this, it doesn't matter if you start on the north or south). Reservations recommended for the Ocracoke / Cedar Island ferry.

We'll be at Frisco over Memorial Day weekend - stop by and chat.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Also keep in mind many of the campgrounds on the beaches in NC and SC are already booked. If you decide to stay in these areas reservations are a must.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Brimstone/Huntsville for a particular reason? If not change plans and go to Townsend TN. Its right at the Smoky Mtn.Nat'l park and Tail of the Dragon is not that far away (129) and you could do a big circle of the park and the area. Lots of options here.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
What type of camping will you be doing? I can suggest some areas to use as base camp reducing your driving and maximizing your fun. Also know some hidden roads you may enjoy.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you head north towards Washington DC I highly recommend a stop at the Marine Corps Museum. USMC Museum You can easily spend a whole day in this building. Admission is free.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Huntsville, TN to the coast is going to be an 8 - 10 hour trip killing a day just getting here.

Memorial Day week and the following week will make the beach area very heavy with traffic too, so not that exciting for riding a bike. However, if you do go, NC outer banks will be the place to go to experience the sand and beach. We do have a nice few beaches in SC, but no real roads along them.

Something closer to TN area that would be fun for a bike lover would be Tail of the Dragon (Hwy 129) or the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Well I've heard of the Dragon and Blue ridge parkway before. But never thought to look and see how close they were. And seeing there 3-4 hours away from Huntsville. That may very well change the whole trip. Thank you!
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Huntsville, TN to the coast is going to be an 8 - 10 hour trip killing a day just getting here.

Memorial Day week and the following week will make the beach area very heavy with traffic too, so not that exciting for riding a bike. However, if you do go, NC outer banks will be the place to go to experience the sand and beach. We do have a nice few beaches in SC, but no real roads along them.

Something closer to TN area that would be fun for a bike lover would be Tail of the Dragon (Hwy 129) or the Blue Ridge Parkway.